Lack of support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Macroexp, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Macroexp

Macroexp Bit poster

Wait - not that kind of support. There's a lack of support on these forums for a great product, so I'm just stepping in to give some support TO Parallels/SWSoft.

I've been using Parallels for a few months now, and I have had, well, about zero problems with it. I do pretty heavy duty development in Visual Studio/SQL Server in it, and I have to say, it performs tremendously well. You don't know how happy it's made me to be able to still satisfy my work needs but not to have to run Windows except as a "guest".

I recently bought 3.0, because it was a major upgrade (in terms of version numbers - version numbers are at the discretion of the software vendor. That's how it always is. Get used to it) and I thought it'd be a neat bonus to have access to more games on the Mac. Quake 4 was the first thing I tried, and it runs amazingly well. Black & White doesn't run. Oh well. The fact that anything 3d works is quite surprising. I have not had any other problems with 3.0. It is better than 2.X, though the only new feature I've really gotten a lot of use out is how it mounts the Windows drive into the Mac host.

As far as the advertising for the 3d support? Overstated. What isn't? If I look at the Microsoft ads, I come away thinking that running Windows and Office is going to make me into a millionaire business maven and make my breath smell like roses all just by giving them the $500 or however much it is.

At any rate, for the haters, take a pill. Virtualization has never been better, on any consumer platform. I've used VMWare for years on PC's, and the performance hit for typical Windows apps has never been as low as it is in Parallels.

For Parallels/SWSoft, keep it going. VMWare may be nipping at your heels, but your product worked first (please ignore 3d for the sake of sanity) and feels a lot more "Mac-like" than any VMWare product.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Very well said.

I am also one for whom the 3.0 upgrade went well, I do lots of development under VS2005 and Delphi2005 and both have been working great. I have no anti-virus, ad remover or any of that creap remover stuff, but then again I don't use my windows to go on the internet except the windows update. I do not have eye candy in my windows session. And I have disabled all the things that I don't use in windows. But then I use the windows session when I have too, the rest I do from my mac.

The only thing I have indulged in my windows is plugging my Garmin quest to use the CityNavigation software. This has been working very well in 2.5 and is even faster in 3.0

I don't really do 3D games on my mac, I have an old windows desktop for that.

Finally I have the linux tools working in both my kubuntu and openSuse linux machines, which finally free me from the mouse sticking in the linux session and give me screen resize, couldn't ask for more.

The only thing which I still cannot do in parallel is run my development NetWare server, and for this I use vmware fusion. Maybe some day I will be able to do it in parallel...no big deal, I don't use it that often anyway.

So good work Parallel!

3. nanwat

nanwat Member

me too- can't agree more

4. nanwat

nanwat Member

how to reduce XP 's exposure to the internet

I don't use my windows to go on the internet except the windows update. I do not have eye candy in my windows session. And I have disabled all the things that I don't use in windows. But then I use the windows session when I have too, the rest I do from my mac.

I would like to do this too but I am concerned windows is always on & I'm increasing my vulnerabilty to viruses as we have broadband connection and the computer is always on. I haven't changed any defaults in XP as I don't know what to do.
    How do I disable/reduce access to the internet as much as possible ? I d need to get the windows updates, software updates and upload data to a server but other than that everything else is done in os x. Is it always "on" ie when it is minimized (Apple + H) or only when I actually ask it to do a specific task ?

5. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Well be a bit open here... take a look at VMWare and Fusion Beta's forums & then objectively come back here and compare. And while there is benefit in first strike, it wears off quickly as people forget who was first to enter a market.

I mean just look at this thread (http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=67134#post67134) in comparison to VMWare having real developers answering questions on the fly (with an actual link to the forums that's visible -- basics). That's a kind of support I'm not seeing here at a critical time. Sure you can blame it all on WWDC, but what kind of software house allows a release of a product that is a major version and then completely loses track of customer feedback and skips town (especially when they know they flood is coming... if they tested at all they'dve expected it). I'm just asking for feedback & 'we can't create a hyperlink' is not the type of feedback that is productive.

-Me

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ungenious, hmm.. i wondered that i'm not real developer :)

Really, there is lot of things except creating hyperlinks, i mean there are some political issues why this forum stays closed.

But in fact, i cant' understand why it is closed too, because googling for parallels support gives link to this forum.

And if you want to talk about this issue - you can do in the thread that you are pointed, here it is an offtopic.

7. pap

pap Junior Member

I too have had great success with version 3.0. No glitches at all from installation to the working environment. Now, I wish Parallels would just get me the free upgrade key so that I don't have to uninstall it before trial expiration runs out.:)

Awesome product Parallels
    Pap

8. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Well if you look at the thread, the admin has closed that previous thread when he replied... I suppose implying finality. It doesn't bug me personally, but the people dealing directly with customers may need a lesson in communication. And yes, I agree it is sad that politics is preventing customers from receiving support, as the forums are useful (if not just to let others know immediately that their problem is a common one & is being worked on).

-Me

9. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Ungenious... Believe ME... I agree totally. I have had a couple PMs in the last 24 hours which give rise to hope that TPTB have understood this problem and are going to take steps to address it. Cross your fingers with me....

XX

10. bkingbking

bkingbking Junior Member

When will 3.0 GA version be available?

It's still very unclear if the current (or most recent download) version is 2.x or 3.0. When will 3.0 be available?

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

There is an update to Parallels 2.5 that can be gotten by using the Update option in Parallels. That is build 3212. It is still version 2.5, and it is free.

There is also an upgrade (different than update) that is available at the download link at the top of this page, and is Version 3.0, Build 4128. It requires you purchase a license which is $49.00 USD. It is a replacement for your version 2.5. It also modifies the virtual machines you have created so if you think you will ever wish to retrograde back to version 2.5, make a copy of your vm's in a safe place.

12. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Ungenious, i'll open it.

13. bkingbking

bkingbking Junior Member

Is build 4128 considered GA?

Thanks for the reply. Is 4128 considered GA or still a beta for 3.0?

14. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

THAT question is a major point of contention. Officially it is not Beta.... in practice however.... make a COUPLE of back ups....

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

4128 is released code. All beta activities now happen in a managed environment. You have to apply to Parallels at the Support link above to be a beta tester in order to see beta code. You can't accidentally get beta code any longer.

16. NessyUK

NessyUK Member

While I am at it - I would like to say I really, REALLY like Parallels. It's enabled me to stay a happy Mac user and nip into Windows when I need to. I don't have any performance issues as far as I am concerned; sure it takes a while to 'boot' and intensive stuff can be a bit slow but hey I am running virtual and if it means for 95% I can stay in OSX then I am well happy (when was windows ever fast!!).

I'm sure VMWare will play catch-up and in the end we will end up with VERY similar products, but I remember that Parallels where the first to risk it with the Mac whilst the BIG company that had MUCH experience and resource did not think we were 'worth' it....then when we started taking over the world (in my department we are down to 1 who has not bought a mac!! And he is thinking!!) they decided there was money to be made.

Thanks Parallels. Forums always seem to end up with moaning cos its full of people (and people like to moan). OK - some have struggled with support but tell me a company that at some point does not struggle with support. You will get there in the end. I had it in the company I work for, where our support was considered 'lacking' compared to others. I am the support manager and a couple of years down the road it is the others that are now considered 'lacking'.