Parallels Issues

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vachaj, Jun 15, 2007.

1. vachaj

vachaj Bit poster

Hello,

I have a few issues with parallels I am interested in knowing if their is an obvious solution for. I am fairly new to MAC so some of this might be very simple:

1. When I leave my MACBOOK alone for a period of time, I come back and PARALLELS is in PAUSED mode. I then have to "struggle" to get it started again. How do I prevent it from pausing?

2. Is their a way to get parallels to come up and start my VISTA virtual machine in the background at OSX startup?

3. Is their a way to hot key to toggle etween OSX and VISTA (the virtual machine) full screen modes?

Any help is appreciated,

Jeff

2. guydavies

guydavies Member

Hi Jeff,

I'm afraid I cannot answer 1 or 2, but I have an answer for 3. :)

I do exactly the same thing using VirtueDesktop. Unfortunately, the developer has ceased work on this because he has seen the future and it is Leopard (with Spaces). In the meantime, google for VirtueDesktops and you'll find a great little app. You can then use CTRL-SHIFT-Left|Right Arrow to go from screen to screen. If you bind Parallels to one window and everything else to the other, you've got what you want :)

Oh, and ignore the beta tag on VirtueDesktops, it's pretty stable and if it ever crashes, you just lose the ability to switch between screens. Just fire it up again and you're back in business :).

There are some commercial apps that do similar stuff but I've not bothered with them because Leopard is coming.

Rgds,

Guy

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

1. Parallels pauses, when Vista goes to sleep. You should disable vista sleep on inactivity. (Try to type 'sleep' in control panel)

2. You can suspend VM and then it will start up [resume] very quickly.

3. Take a look to Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Keyboard. It can help you to solve your problem.

4. guydavies

guydavies Member

Hi Ynot,

I think Jeff was after the ability to have the VM in fullscreen and just toggle to another virtual screen with a fullscreen OSX. The problem I found with toggling in and out of full screen is that it resizes your window and all the icons get moved around on your desktop.

VirtueDesktops (or one of the commercial options) allow you to have multiple desktops, one of which can be dedicated to each VM if you like.

Anyway, Jeff can decide if he's happy to toggle in and out of full screen mode using the Parallels -> Preferences -> Keyboard settings or if he needs more :) If I'm wrong, then Ynot has provided the perfect solution, Jeff :)

Rgds,

Guy

5. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Have you tried:
    Going to System Preferences
    Accounts
    Login Items and ADD Parallels.

In Parallels set to start VM automatically.

ajm