Parallels - Ubuntu 7.04 as guest

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by georgetoon, Jun 1, 2007.

1. georgetoon

georgetoon Bit poster

I'm running Parallels on Linspire 5.0 and it works great! I installed WinXP pro without a hitch. Very slick. it runs just as if I had Windows!

Hw do I get Ubuntu 7.04 as a guest OS? Will this run? do I install as other Linux? which kernel do I use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mgolczewski

mgolczewski Bit poster

I'm running it though I upgraded it from a previous version (v6.x I think). The orignal install was with an .ISO distribution from Umbuntu's site.

3. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Since we still don't have parallels tools for linux, linux host and linux guest is a poor choice!

Your linux guest will be very slow and poor.

don

4. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

Guest tools do not affect performance, they just make mouse cursor run smoother.

5. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

If that is the case then why is there not just a mouse tool? What is the purpose of the other tools?

If the mouse is slow and jerky that is a definite performance hit, without the network tool it is hard to connect to the internet in some linux os's. How about the lack of shared folders in the linux guest,the poor networking performance?

Using a ms guest,with the tools, all the above problems are solved.

don

6. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

I meant that pure performance of tasks running in VM is not affected. But if those tasks actively use peripheral devices, yes, tools do improve I/O speed because guest tools package contains drivers that are designed and optimized to run in VM. And of course tools do improve user's performance. :)

7. MaximS

MaximS Forum Maven

Also check Ubuntu Desktop PVA.

8. hotblack

hotblack Member

The workaround for installation with the Mac version was to change the OS Type/Version of the VM to Solaris/Other Solaris.