Rhino 3 and openGL

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by paulmiller, Jun 15, 2007.

1. paulmiller

paulmiller Bit poster

So I installed Rhino 3 in a completely virtual Windows XP on build 4128 and the graphics were extremely slow. Enabling DirectX did nothing for me. After playing with some settings in Rhino, I've been able to get it running fairly smoothly. In Rhino, under OpenGL options, I changed driver display mode to "Software Emulation" instead of the default setting of "Hardware Accelleration". Did anyone else have to do this to get Rhino to run smoothly? Am I sacrificing performance here? Or is this a necessary emulation because it is running in a virtual environment? I suppose I'm not completely sure how graphics in Parallels work and this may be why I'm not understanding what I've changed and the consequences of making that change.

Thanks

Paul

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I've run Rhino 3 for over year, and Rhino 4 right after it came out. I've never run it on anything but my laptop in Parallels so don't have any comparison with non-Parallels installations. However I've been perfectly happy with what I have. I may be even happier running it on a real Windows platform but that's not an option.

I also rarely have a need for very complex drawings as most everything I draw is a project for my lathe or mill.

3. NickO

NickO Junior Member

I've just intalled Parallels 3.0, and Rhino 4 won't open anything, nor can I go "gradient view" in the command line.

In the meantime I'm getting BSOD when the VM/XP tries to update tools.

This is a mess.

4. NickO

NickO Junior Member

Now that I've calmed down a bit and finally got tools to update after several attempts, Rhino 4 will launch but stick with "Loading Rhino Render version 1.00" message above the command line. Meanwhile the Rhino startup splash screen persists behind the four viewpoints (all black). I can't open anything or do anything in settings. It worked great under Parallels 2 but now its broken in some way.

I can't find the Software emulation setting mentioned above, but I suspect some fundamental graphics issue.

Any clues leads welcome.

Thanks.

Everything under XP seems to be working OK now.

XP SP2 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo @ 2.33. 2 GB ram

5. paulmiller

paulmiller Bit poster

nick,

go to tools --> options --> OpenGL

uncheck "Use hardware driver display modes". then choose "Software Emulation" from the "Driver Display Mode" pulldown.

i'm curious to see if this will help you too. still wondering why this makes a difference.

paul

6. NickO

NickO Junior Member

Thanks,

Are we on different versions of Rhino? (I'm on v 4.0) If I uncheck "use accelerated hardware modes" things start working, but I can't find either of the check boxes you mention.

[​IMG]

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Just to try this I re-installed Parallels 3.0 and disabling the OpenGL hardware support does improve things. No more scrambled panels in Rhino, and the rendering and shading are more than adequate. I used the tutorial SLR camera to test with.

8. NickO

NickO Junior Member

Thanks. I do heavy Rhino stuff, mainly on a quad core Dell at work, and use Parallels to review tinker or edit Rhino when I'm traveling.

What I was hoping for when I upgraded to Parallels 3 was smoother Rhino, and better support for the great real-time preview you now get with Rhino 4. Now that it runs, I'm not seeing any difference.