Bizarre display behaviour

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dotcomjunkie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

In Version 3.0, when switching between full screen and OS Window mode, Parallels will frequently cause very bizarre display behavior. The display will continuously switch between the two modes and as time passes, the display gets more and more garbled. This has happened to me three times. Once when I was connected back to my employer working and was at risk of losing some of my work if I had to shut down. Fortunately I was able to see just clearly enough to very quickly navigate to "OS Window" mode and the display returned to normal. I was then able to save my work and shut down the VM safely.

There are more things broken with this release than fixes or new features. I cannot afford to risk losing work product because of buggy software. I am testing VMWare's product. If things progress along this path, I will get my $40 back and give it to VMWare.

DOS 6.22 (Limited testing in 3.0)
    Windows 3.11 (Broken in version 3.0)
    Windows 98 (Broken in version 3.0)
    Windows XP (Partially working in 3.0)
    Windows Vista (Limited testing in 3.0)
    Ubuntu (Have not tested in 3.0)

2. X-Sabris

X-Sabris Bit poster

Scrambled Document Display Images

I'm using a MacBook Pro 17" with the latest configs. Just upgraded to Parallels 3 and trying to use UGS Solid Edge 3D in Windows XP Pro SP2. The user-interface graphics display correctly, but I cannot view any 3D documents, they are scrambled, as though the video memory matrix (or whatever you call it) is NOT working.

The only reason I use Parallels, is to run Solid Edge 3D. So, I'm dead-in-the-water!

I wonder if this is related to your display issues?

3. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

There are many people who have experienced display video etc issues. I am in the laborious process of uninstalling drivers manually to see if it can be fixed. There has been no reply from customer support on any of the nearly two dozen threads now regarding this subject. We are on our own. I will report back my findings within the hour or so, as soon as I am either successful or again fail.

4. johnwillo

johnwillo Bit poster

Since installing, I will periodically see what I can only describe as a color-table swap. It first happened when I rebooted after installing Parallels and intermittently ever since. It will happen even if the Parallels app hasn't been run. It looks like my MacBook Pro is trying to render its interface in 64 colors. Or maybe 16. It's EGA all over again. It persists across reboots and even into Windows in Boot Camp. When I boot with the option key down, to select the partition to boot from, that screen has the same issue. I have to zap parameter ram to (temporarily) clear the problem.

5. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

I am glad to hear that the problem has been narrowed down (I think) to Parallels 3.0. I was wondering if it was my upgrade to Boot Camp 1.3.

I am not glad though that I will have to keep resetting PRAM; however, hopefully it doesn't mean a logic board replacement.

I also have the same problem; earlier thread:
    (http://forums.parallels.com/thread13066.html)

-Me

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  6. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Update

I can consistently make the issue I first reported happen by simply switching between full screen and window mode. What is weird is that if I switch to Coherence mode, the problem goes away and Parallels performs without any hiccups for hours...as soon as I try window mode - Bam! back to the display problems.

I don't know if that helps, but at least I can still use my guest OS.

I will keep experimenting and post back here with updates.

7. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Resetting my PRAM has removed my color crazy display problem... it's survived 3 reboots between Parallels, OS X, and Boot Camp... so my hopes are up.

-Me