Which Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by kb27973, Jun 13, 2007.

1. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

Hi I just purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac. It says it's version 2.5. Two questions:

1) I've only had the program for a couple of days should I have gotten version 3?
    2) Which version of Linux works? I am trying to get Redhat 9 to work but it keeps crashing on startup. Tried switching network adapters and it let me boot a couple of times but then hung on starting X. Now it won't boot even if I turn networking off. I also increased the RAM to 1GB.

Thanks for any help,
    Ken

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

3. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if you can still buy the DVD's? Don't really want to mess with the Torent stuff. Also, before I purchase has anyone used this on an iMac?

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

most linux distros have direct download links if you want them. Certainly Fedora 7 and Ubuntu do.

5. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

Thanks darkone. I browsed the entire thread referenced but couldn't find where it said you could download an image. Could you give me a clue (or a link) please? I would even be willing to buy a Linux distro if I knew for sure which one worked on an iMac 20".

Anybody out there get Linux working properly using Parallels 2.5 on an iMac? If so which one?

6. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

7. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

Fantastic! Thanks Relan. Downloading Fedora6 now.

8. TheSystemHasFailed

TheSystemHasFailed Member

I've always preferred SuSE myself. I pulled the ISO down and installed OpenSuSE within //s 2.5. But what I found was now that I have a mac and can build what few apps I still want from the X11 world and run them in OS X with X11 I just didn't have a need for SuSE any more..

9. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

Okay, I'm an idiot. There got that out of the way. I downloaded the Fedora iso image. In the virtual machine window I opened up the cdrom and pointed it to Volumes/FC_6 i386 DVD/images/boot.iso. Linux starts to boot. Gets to the install screen and asks about language and keyboard and accepts my input. Then it come to the Installation Method screen and wants to know what type of media contains the packages to be installed. If I pick Local CDROM it pukes because it doesn't think there is anything in the drive. Didn't I tell it to use the ISO image?

Help.
    Ken

10. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

God. Why is it so hard to install Linux under Parallels? On vmware you just stick the cd in and install like normal. Why all these gyrations? Can anybody fill me in on what I'm supposed to do with this iso image I downloaded? This is getting frustrating...
    Thanks,
    Ken

11. kb27973

kb27973 Bit poster

12. seebs

seebs Junior Member

I just installed FC7, no big hassles; it didn't work with large memory, and I had to install the Linux Tools thing before it would run smoothly, but it runs now.

13. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

I prefer ubuntu. Its catching alot of ground speed basically giving it more support. Enjoy and do install the linux tools if you have 3.0

14. talmy

talmy Member

Nobody addressed your first question! Yes, you are entitled to a free upgrade. Version 3 seems to install the latest Linux kernels without the frustrations that 2.5 had, and the new Parallels Tools for Linux solves the screen resolution issues and improves mouse operation.

15. mamerc

mamerc Bit poster