Parallels 2.0 breaks my Mac. Is version 3.0 better?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by stuffing, Jun 12, 2007.

1. stuffing

stuffing Bit poster

I've been using version of version 2 for a few days now and there have been good and bad points.

Good? When it works, I can run Vista at a decent speed and conect to the web etc.

Bad? After few days of using Parallels it has got to the point where, as soon as I launch Parallels in a session, it freezes the whole machine and I have to force a shutdown. I don't mean a spinning beach ball and I also don't mean that I have to force a reboot. It won't even let me do that. The whole operating system (OS X) is frozen.

This is a brand new Mac (MacBook Core 2 Duo) with 2GBRAM, a fresh install of OS X and I have no other system problems with any other applications.

I haven't experienced this type of crash since the days of OS 9 - or even OS 7 for that matter. There have been all sorts of other inconsistencies and more minor bugs, but I won't bore you with these.

So, my question is this, is version 3 of Parallels worth upgrading to? Is this known to have fixed lots of bugs?

I'd be interested in some user experience.

Thanks.

2. wesley

wesley Pro

Well, it does seem to advertise a better Vista support in version 3. You might want to give it a go for the trial version.

3. stuffing

stuffing Bit poster

Thanks for the reply.

Although, I'm not sure that Vista is the problem, the application does not even get as far as launching Vista. I'm concerned at having software like this even installed on my Mac that causes such a violent crash.

4. stuffing

stuffing Bit poster

Nope that's it.

It's crashed my Mac for the last time. This is no better than beta software, I'm not paying for this.

I've been trialing VMWare and even at beta that is more stable.