1. WalterS64

WalterS64 Bit poster

Let me see if I can say this the right way. I have a Toshiba running Windows 8, I did the upgrade when Windows 8 was released but did the online upgrade, so I do not have disks. I just got a Mac book pro and would like to put Windows 8 on it. So I guess my question is do I need to get the disks for Windows 8 or can I just use my Toshiba and hook it up via USB, WIFII or would I would like to do is use my external HD. I read this program will step me through the movement of my stuff from my HD but was not sure if that ment Windows 8 operating system also. If anyone can clear this up for me I would like to say thank you in advance.

2. danieltharris

danieltharris Member

It depends...I'm guessing you got Windows on your Toshiba when you bought it (Likely Vista or 7).

So you were able to get the upgrade either online, or in store and did it online. That's fine, but the problem you have now is that you need a previous, licensed version of Windows XP, Vista, or 7 to be able to use that update you have.

The license that came with your Toshiba is tied to that laptop, so as far as I know you can't legally use that serial key (Usually on a sticker under the laptop) to install Windows Vista/7 (Whichever it came with) on another PC.

Therefore you can't use the upgrade at the moment.

The legal way to run Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine is either:

- Have a retail version of either XP, Vista, or Windows 7 - Combine this with the Win8 Update you purchased
    - Buy the system builder edition of Windows 8, which will let you do a clean install into a VM or another machine
    - If you are a developer etc and have a membership to MSDN or similar, you can use it as per that license agreement