Lost Network Connectivity with 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SStead, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SStead

SStead Bit poster

I downloaded and installed the 3.0 upgrade. All seemed to work well.
    Now, the network connection cannot be established. It works well with OS X, but cannot get a network connection through the default adapter.

2. cassebn

cassebn Bit poster

I have the exact same problem, as I was able to connect after the upgrade, but only for a short time. After a reboot, I have 'limited connectivity' and cannot get to the internet anymore.

I am loosing time while trying to resolve this. Parallels Team, please respond with a solution!

3. pauljwells

pauljwells Bit poster

Same problem

Same here too. Big problem since I use the VM for VPN access to my company server.

EDIT: I got the network back. I shut down and then switched to 'bridged ethernet' then started up again. This connected. I then switched to NAT (without shutting down) and it worked again...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  4. friley

friley Bit poster

I used to have this problem every now and again with version 2. The fix was to go the network settings, pick something different than what you're currently using (like switch from nat to bridged), click apply, then switch it back and click apply again. Then start the vm up. That worked every time for me.

5. Smmcolo

Smmcolo Bit poster

Exact Issue

:mad:

I have the same problem...and my new key was not recognized to log a support ticket. For us less experienced users, can you explain how you changed to/from bridged...or has anyone else solved the problem.

Loved 2.0...very, very sad that I upgraded.

6. stahly

stahly Member

Ditto..but not working from 2.5 to 3

same issue...i've tried what the above threads have mentioned with no luck. I need access to my company's VPN..works on Mac O/S with Safari, etc...but not in VM/Windows XP...

Any other ideas?

7. Leonard

Leonard Member

I was also having network problems, but resolved them also by switching networks (Smmcolo, go to the Parallels Desktop menu bar, choose Devices -> Network Adapter).

Stahly, is your Windows VM not on your VPN network while you are connected with the OSX VPN client? Pretty sure mine is.

8. stahly

stahly Member

Leonard, I've scanned other threads...particularly the Cisco one...My VPN client is company specfic, but I tried the generic process of swithing network adapters, re-booting an re-installing, etc...but Build 4128 seems to be the culprit here....earlier build, v3 worked just fine.

Only thing I have not tried is un-installing Parallels because I can't afford to lose my Virtual XP system...it took about 6 hours to install!

Any other thoughts?

9. Leonard

Leonard Member

Hmm, well, tell ya what. Mine does not work anymore either. :( I connect via Cisco VPN, works fine in OSX but no dice (anymore) in the Windows VM. Worked out the box on 2.5, just installed 3.0 last night.

I feel you on uninstalling... I had a HELL of a time getting 3.0 installed (crashed Mac post install, crashed every time on Parallels Tools install in Windows, etc.) I restarted my Windows VM from my backup and tried to roll back to 2.5 without success. After 3 hours at the office last night I went home to try this morning.

My 2.5 install was hosed so I tried again to upgrade to 3.0. Crashed again at the end of the install, but after a restart a second upgrade install worked without error. I am guessing that the crashed install left some OSX drivers in a mixed up state and this caused Parallels Tools to crash.

My upgrade from working 2.5 to 3.0 took about 6 hours total. :( And now that I see VPN is no longer working in my VM I may have to keep the clock rolling.

10. Akcelo

Akcelo Bit poster

me too!

Just to throw in my 2 cents - I too have the same problem. I've tried the "switch network adaptors and reboot" etc but no luck. My connection was working prior to upgrading to v3 b4128.

11. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

I too have the same problem, and it gets even more interesting.

I tried using Windows Media Player to connect to the Internet, and it works!
    I tried using My spyware software to update from the Internet, and it works!

I try to boot up IE 7 and surf the Internet? Not working.

What the hell is that all about? Everything else can get to the Internet but IE?

Everything seems fine with XP and my Parallels, it just doesn't want to connect.

12. stahly

stahly Member

Fixed

I wish I could tell you all how...but let me at least explain what I did which my trigger some creative thoughts by all you smart folks out there:

Ultimately, what worked for me was to install the WINDOWS version of my company VPN SW as opposed to the Mac version. I do however want to caveat that with the fact that with PD 2.5, the Mac version worked just fine and my XP vs 'saw through' my host Mac OS no problem...but not true for PD 3.0- thus the purpose of my original post.

I actually tried the Win version of my VPN on Windows quite early in my adventure but kept getting launch errors...so I couldnt even test it....So, I kept testing with the Mac version to no avail. in the process of that install, I rebooted about 72 times after uninstalling/reinstlaling PD, my VPN, etc...I even created a new vs using another copy of XP just to rule out 5 years of crud that build up on my mirrored XP vs.

That said, my crusted version of xp ultimately booted my VPN ...Again, all I did was install, reboot, reinstall, etc....of BOTH versions of my vpn, etc.

Sorry I wish I could be more technical, but I'm a photographer, not a developer/OS expert. I do suggest you try a very precise uninstall/reinstall/reboot proceedure and write down what you did...and alter the steps... I even tried to load the VPN first, then PD...PD then VPN, etc.... perhaps one of these combinations will work for you.

Hope that at least helps some of you!

btw, WASTED VALUABLE TIME on this project to the tune of about 10 hours!

13. clarsen

clarsen Bit poster

Same situation here. :(

Running XP under parallels 2.0. Upgraded to 3.0. Did not make a backup of the VM so now I can't downgrade to 2.0. My mistake.

3.0 networking worked for a while. after mac rebooted on suspend (!) it came back up and after starting parallels, it was no longer able to see connectivity on the network adapter.

Does parallels support monitor these forums?

14. clarsen

clarsen Bit poster

after changing from 'shared networking' to 'bridged networking' i was able to get connectivity.

15. amethat

amethat Bit poster

Did not work for me. My acess is Local only regardless of which adapter I choose.

Can someone at parallels please tell us how to resolve this issue!!

16. amethat

amethat Bit poster

Has anyone solved this problem? I reinstalled my VM (Vista Business) and I still have the problem.

Thanks.

17. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Yeah, do you use a router at home to connect to the internet? If yes, make sure you are not just blocking the new MAC address assigned by the v3 parallel.

That is what happened to me, as soon as I forced my parallel to a MAC address I had already secured in my router, my VPN started working fine again.

I am using bridged ethernet.

Also make sure you do not have the OS X firewall enabled.

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

None of you has described how you are testing for connectivity so it isn't clear yet if you have a connectivity problem or a DNS problem. Particularly with VPN, DNS doesn't work in Windows because Windows does not have any defined name servers for the VPN network. It does not inherit them from OS X because Windows does not know there is a VPN running in OS X.

So try some tests to verify connectivity vs DNS by trying to ping an IP address from both OS X and Windows. The IP address for parallels.com returns a ping and the IP address is: 64.131.89.6.

19. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

I was able to ping it and it still does not work with IE, although I can connect with Windows Media Player. Why one and not the other? Who knows.

20. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

Here is proof from my VM that it is connected to the internet. I ran my network diagnostics and this came up, yet I still cannot connect via IE. Check out the screenshot.

Attached Files: