Paralles and Airport on Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Bjoernb, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bjoernb

Bjoernb Bit poster

Hi!

I am using the brand new beta of Parallels for Mac OS X. So far I am quite amazed by ease of use and speed of this solution. However, I cant get networking to work.

I am connecting to my local WLAN by AirPort. I have selected en1 (the AirPort Card) as the Interface in Bridged networking, but the Guest OS (XP) doesn't get an IP adress from my Router. Any suggestions?

2. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello,

Actually, this beta will not have a possibility to bridge to wireless adapters. That's the limitation of the beta only, the forthcoming versions (and RTM of course) will have wireless networking support out of the box.

If it is possible in your local network, please choose en0 and use wired adapter - this one will work for you.

Best regards,
    Tim

3. sirdir

sirdir Junior Member

Erm, so why does my virtual XP Media Center Edition I just installed on my MacBook Pro have Internet Connection via Airport? :)

4. burgeke

burgeke Member

sirdir - which version, 2004 or 2005? Just curious. I downloaded the beta of Parallels and will download from msdn XP Media Center Ed. in the version you got the airport to work under since I really need to have my airport work in the VM.

Thanks in advance!

5. sirdir

sirdir Junior Member

Hi!

It's the 2005 edition (didn't try anything else, but in fact it shouldn't make any difference, should it?)

6. burgeke

burgeke Member

Wouldn't think so, just didn't want to go through any undue hassle since I have access to both versions.

Thanks for replying so fast!

- Keith

7. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

I've got XP Pro installed under Parallels beta and have my Virtual NIC bridged to my Airport with no problems. I've got WEP turned on and DHCP set in OS X and XP Pro.

-Will

8. reggie

reggie Bit poster

Aiport Card working fine.

No problems here. I picked up my new MacBook Pro today (1.83Ghz, 512MB model) and installed Parellels VM software with Windows XP. I'm downloading updates to the XP VM via my Airport card as I type this. Working in Bridged mode. It's working great....even though I need to bump up the ram in this laptop. :eek:

9. casioguy

casioguy Member

Excuse me, willwgm3, just how do one bridge the Virtual NIC to the Airport? Can you clarify this a bit for non-techies like me? I don't even know where the Virtual NIC is. Please help!

10. sas

sas Junior Member

I have found that only getting an IP via DHCP does not work on the guest. After I configured the IP manually it worked fine.

11. bripirie

bripirie Bit poster

it works for me

Internet connection through my AirPort on my MacBook from XP Pro under parallels works fine. Only problem is I'm unable to access the MacBook itself (e.g OS X SMB shares) from within parallels.

12. jmaynard

jmaynard Member

With the VM stopped (shut down XP), bring up the properties page, click on Network Adapter, then change en0 to en1 in the selection list.

13. willwgm3

willwgm3 Member

Casioguy -

From the Property Views screen for the guest click on 'Edit'. Then select Network Adapter and modify the bridged ethernet device from en0 (nic) to en1 (airport).

-Will

14. CraigF

CraigF Junior Member

This is the same, and only problem I can see, that I am having with binding the guest OS to the Airport card (EN1).

If we could add other virtual NICs to the guest machine, we might have a work around, but that's not an option right now.

15. Bjoernb

Bjoernb Bit poster

Windows config?

Cn anyone of the people who got bridged networking with airport running tell me how you configured Windows? I tried to configure a manual IP address - still no luck.

16. jmaynard

jmaynard Member

No problems here...I set a manual IP address and went on. It just worked.

17. CraigF

CraigF Junior Member

My VM is bound to EN1 on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using DHCP on the host and the VM. No problems, other than the aforementioned issue with using SMB from the guest to the host.

18. casioguy

casioguy Member

Hmmm...that's what I have done but when I went into XP, the LAN does not show any connection (I set to DHCO first) till I manually key in an IP address 10.0.1.9). It then shows a LAN connection but no internet connection even though my airport was OK and connected.

I have firstly set both systems to DHCP but no dice. Do you think it may be simpler just to recreate a VM and reinstall XP? Apart from this, I have an error message telling me that the DVD/CD-ROM device could not be connected even though this was already enabled in the config.:confused:

19. peter_b

peter_b Bit poster

Running MBP 2.0 I had no luck with using DHCP in XP on Airport. Changing the NIC to en1 in settings and assigning a static IP manually did the trick right away.

XP reports 10 Mb connection... has anyone checked to see if it's actually limiting throughput or if this is just a small inaccuracy?

20. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

10 MBS connection

I've noticed that the WinXP settings are automatically configured to half-duplex, which is probably why your XP is reporting 10 MBS.

Right click on your network adapter in Windows, select Properties. On the "General" tab, click the "Configure..." button. Click the "Advanced" tab, then change the "Line Speed" value to "TP Full Duplex" and see if that makes a difference.

On my iMac 20", I'm not able to get Airport to bridge, regardless of whether I use DHCP in Windows, a static IP that differs from my iMac's, or the same IP address, even with a static entry in my Airport Extreme router. :(

But wow, what a cool product. Can't wait for the final version.