Cursor Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by woodbear, Jun 15, 2007.

1. woodbear

woodbear Bit poster

Hi All,

I have been running Parallels on my iMac successfully for several weeks. My Windows software runs fine, etc. However, every so often (and for no apparent reason) the cursor on the Windows side switches from the arrow to an hourglass. Closing all programs does not solve this problem, but restarting the VM does. Does anyone know what causes this in the first place or how to switch back to the original cursor without rebooting? Thanks.

2. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

This may be related to other noted mouse cursor issues. They seem to be working on it now. I made quite a fuss about this during the last 72 hours. I will keep you posted. But I am sure it would help if you could post whatever technical details about your system, install, etc, the more the better.

3. woodbear

woodbear Bit poster

System is 24" iMac, 10.4.9, latest version of Parallels running XP. Yesterday the cursor turned into an "I" bar instead of arrow. That was new, and equally annoying. Thanks.

Barbara Ball
    GIS Analyst

4. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Mine too is the 24". I assume you upgraded from 2.5? Which build are you running now ? And did you do any previous upgrades that worked ? Which ?

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Are you guys using coherence, multiple monitors? What have you installed on your windows XP, do you have things like google desktop, add-ons in internet explorer, any special drivers installed in your XP session?

Debugging weird issues needs a lot more information.

6. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

First, I do not have any of the items you mentioned. Second, it worked fine for half a dozen updates in 2.5 but did NOT work in 3.0.

As for trying it in coherence, as I posted on another thread... that makes the mouse VANISH. You have to manually KILL Parallels and then turn OFF coherence while it is NOT running... kind of a trick because it suspends itself. I only did that mistake once... I cant use coherence at all until they find out WHAT and WHY these video problems are occuring.

7. jwalthour

jwalthour Member

I have a MBP 15" Core Duo. I completely removed Parallels according to directions provided elsewhere in this forum. I reinstalled a brand new 3.0 (build 4128), created a brand new XP image with, obviously, a brand new installation of Parallel Tools. However, when I switch to another video resolution, full screen or Coherence mode, mouse synchronization is lost. I have raised a trouble ticket with Parallels support, but have heard nothing. I assume this problem is being worked on, but it would be nice to hear something. Also, and maybe I shouldn't be saying this, but I was a beta tester and none of these problems arose in the beta testing. The last beta version I saw worked wonderfully. I'd love to know what happened between the RC and GA.

8. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

More and more info comes to light.

So you lose Mouse Sync with a BRAND NEW Build ? And you did the BETA without any issues.

Whereas I lose Mouse Sync on an UPGRADE that included a Beta.

Therefore we have NOTHING in common except the Sync does not work.

Ugh....

This is buggier than I thought...

After making a ruckus earlier in the week, I did get 2 PMs and 2 Emails telling me they are working on it and asking for details, which I sent... but I have heard nothing back in the last 36 hours since...

It is obvious to me now that there is a significant drive change from 2.5 to 3.0 and they cannot find the ooops.

Keep your fingers crossed.

A small and inconvenient workaround is to disable the video driver. Try that. It is not pretty but is does solve the mouse problem.

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I do that at least 5 times a day when I start up my windows XP session. And I also have a 15" core duo.

What kind of mouse are you using? I'm using an Apple mouse with no special driver. I used to have a logitech mouse, but had many issues with their driver.

10. woodbear

woodbear Bit poster

My husband will be upgrading to 3.0 today. I am going out of town for a week, so won't know how it works. As for what is running on Windows, I primarily use it for my professional mapping software. Very graphics intensive. I do not run the browser from there, or use Word or Excel, etc. I do as little as possible in Windows. The problem usually arises for me when I have several windows open on the Windows side, command prompt, video window, second or third application window, perhaps a text editor. This change in the appearance of the cursor does not interfere with my ability to work to a great extent, it is just very annoying. Thanks.

11. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Just make SURE you make a back up copy of the hdd just in case. Good luck.