"non-standard Boot Camp configuration" for Dummies!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PhilMC, May 4, 2007.

1. PhilMC

PhilMC Bit poster

I purchased a MBP and Parallels a week ago. I decided to use Boot Camp (because of my 3D app) together with Parallels. With unplugged external usb drives it works great. But with the drives plugged in, the well known " non-standard Boot Camp configuration" problem occurs.
    I read the guide to edit the .pvs files but i don't really get it. :)

Is there a way to write a dummy-proofed guide for "how to configure the non-standard Boot Camp configuration"? I never used the terminal on the mac. :D

Because it is really annoying to unplugg the drives everytime i start parallesl.

thanks in advance.

- phil

2. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

how to configure the non-standard Boot Camp configuration

I don't think there is a guide for dummies for this yet.. in that Parallels haven't fully/satisfactorily implemented this feature yet.
    At the moment you have to use the terminal on the mac, -> type in "df" to get the configuration of your harddrives then put that information into the pvs file for your configuration. Unfortunately I have found that the my external hardrive configuration isn't fixed so I have to change it maybe 50% of the time I boot in my XP bootcamp.
    I can probably help you get your set up working if you let me know your hardware is and what typing "df" gives you at the terminal, then you will need to bear in mind you have to change your settings if df gives you a different result next time you reboot...