3d acceleration

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by neutrino15, Feb 25, 2007.

1. neutrino15

neutrino15 Junior Member

Hey,

I would like to know if there are any plans for parallels to catch up to VMware Fusion in the 3d area. It seems (from that youtube video) as if VMWare has come up with a way to enable directx in windows. I would like parallels to do this (of course) as well as add somthing of the sort to linux. While linux has been kinda neglected by parallels, I would sure love to install Beryl on linux! :D

At least try for windows (a huge reason many people buy parallels is to run awesome windows games)

-Jordan

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. fabforrest

fabforrest Member

I concur. would be the biggest feature for me.

3. Darryn Lowe

Darryn Lowe Junior Member

Actually I doubt this is the case because most people who buy Parallels know that it can't run the games under virtualisation. :)

It would be cool to get 3D acceleration but clearly this is a huge undertaking as VMWare hasn't done this, at least up until now, and they've been in this game for many years now.

The guys behind Parallels have stated they will be working on 3DFX but it's a matter of working it out.

4. jkneen

jkneen Member

Yes, let's not forget that all we've seen so far from VMWare is a youtube video, probably to spice the discussion up on this and give Parallels something to think about. The latest VMWare fusion doesn't have 3D capability.

Parallels have said they are working on it for V3 so hopefully we're going to have some new betas soon!

Jason

5. teknishn

teknishn Junior Member

Actually, VMWare released Fusion Beta 2 with DirectX 8.1 support today as a free download.

6. jkneen

jkneen Member

Yep so at the time of writing I was right - they hadn't released it. Unfortunately I'm not able to see the future, even a day ahead!

7. gjlamb

gjlamb Bit poster

I'd like DirectX for programs like Nokia LifeBlog. For this app I still need to use a real PC.

Greg

8. mkummer

mkummer Member

DirectX is not only for Gamers. Many other programs would need it, f.e. DVD players or VLC (which runs w/o it but much better with it). So I am really looking forward to the realisation of that. Anyway - the today state of Parallels is just awesome!

9. tronster

tronster Bit poster

3d would be great

I'm also a user who's primary wish is 3d acceleration. I'd even be willing to shell out more cash to obtain the next version if it had this in it.

I'm currently developing with the Ogre game engine, and without OpenGL or DirectX in Parallels I can't take my Mac Book Pro to a coffee shop and geek out in public (or at least not until I get as proficient with Xcode as I am with VS2005). :cool:

10. cobrabyte

cobrabyte Bit poster

Regarding VMWare's '3D Support'

VMWare's 3D support is very, very limited. Check the release notes for complete info.

I really do hope to see Parallels release some 3D-lovin' sometime soon! :D

11. mster142

mster142 Bit poster

I hope it comes soon

12. philbrook

philbrook Bit poster

YES! It would be great to have a fully active 3d capability. What is the holdup?

13. Grandpa Jim

Grandpa Jim Junior Member

DirectX 3D for TopoUSA for RAAM planning

Me too!

I'm trying to use Delorme TopoUSA to plan for bike Race Across America (RAAM) and can't use the 3D fly-over feature in the software cause Parallels doesn't support DirectX. Race is in June 07.

This could be great publicity for Parallels as a tool in national attention, cross-country race. Is there a chance there might be some beta version available for trial?

Grandpa Jim

14. thanatopsis

thanatopsis Bit poster

Even 3D for older games would be great

I really don't mind rebooting to BootCamp XP for new games, but a lot of good old games don't even run on XP.
    A lot of old games would run on my Windows Me VM if only it had some sort of 3D support. A lot of old 3D games like Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones don't require a very fast processor. If it were possible to emulate 3D hardware, even if it uses up a lot of the processor, these old games would run great, and not require rebooting and a bunch of tweaks and hacks and patches to get the to work with XP or later.

Jim

15. joacoerazo

joacoerazo Bit poster

I think that the 3d aceleration is a Must for parallels, and a custom graphic card to choose from.:)

16. noutram

noutram Bit poster

I agree with the general message about 3D acceleration here. The new features such as coherance are all very impressive, but to be honest, I played with them for a while and ended up not using them. What is really missing (and in my view should be the priority), is hardware support for direct X and open GL.

I could run dual boot to get directX or course, but I also gave up with boot camp for two reasons, (i) it's beta, crashed on me a few times and does not support my wireless keyboard and (ii) I just don't want to go back to dual-booting a machine - it commits 30G of disk which I could be using for DV editing! Having a VM is so much more convenient and efficient in disk space, I've decided to live without DirectX.

If vista could run in parallels with the aero inerface in an iMac, I think that would make the headlines.

17. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

I would like for Parallels to catch up with CrossOver in 3D acceleration. I know it's Apple™s and Oranges, but...

18. aguydude

aguydude Member

Far be it from me to resurrect an old thread, but Ungenious started it :p

Anyways, Parallels 3.0 does have 3D support. Personally, the 3d programs that I want use have worked successfully (more successfully than they worked on my IBM T30 Laptop, in fact), but I tend to use freeware games. Usually they don't push the limits of compatibility. There are some issues with suspending after making use of 3d support, though.

19. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Yeah I realize 3.0 has 3D support, but I was hoping for a catchup to the level CrossOver is at. I realize that they're two way different things though, but this is a Wish List after all :)

Cheers,
    -Me

20. tronster

tronster Bit poster

I'm glad to see Parallels add 3d support in the last release... I did buy a copy. While a bit slow, it does the job for what I'm doing now; I hope in the future there are speed enhancements.

More concerning than speed enhancements though is that I just saw this article from a Digg link:

"Is Parallels violating the Wine LGPL?"
    http://babygotmac.com/a/is-parallels-violating-the-wine-gpl

Was the library code modified, and if so, when does Parallels plan on releasing the source to the modified library code?