How long does it take to delete a snapshot...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by simplicity, Jun 16, 2007.

1. simplicity

simplicity Member

...I'm up to 20 minutes and the snapshot hasn't been deleted yet.

That doesn't seem right? My virtual HD size is 15gb.

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

It takes bloody ages.

I have stopped using this feature.

Robin

3. simplicity

simplicity Member

hey Parallels folks,

Can I just delete the Snapshots folder, or do I need to go through the Snapshot manager?

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

You have to take into account how snapshots work. If you want to delete snapshots always start with the snapshots with the fewest snapshots connected to it, because every time you delete a snapshot with snapshots connected to it the snapshots which are connected to it have to be merged with the snapshot you are deleting.

For example:

A--B
    |
    ----C---D

To delete all these snapshots you would start by deleting B and D, then C, then A. If you try deleting A first then B and C will have to be merged with A. If you then try to delete C then D will have to be merged with C.

If no merging has to be done then the snapshot will be deleted almost instantaneously, but if merging has to be done then it could take a long time depending on the number of connected snapshots and the size of the snapshots.

5. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Wow, that's good to know. I haven't used this option yet... as I just copy and paste my entire hdd file to some other drive. I have lots of external space.

6. simplicity

simplicity Member

That is good info.

I simply had one snapshot though and it never stopped. I was about 20 minutes into the 'delete' when I clicked on a mailto link which for me activated the image and caused parallels to crash.

I just deleted the Snapshots folder and everything seems to be working for now..

7. Milkman

Milkman Bit poster

Same here. I have only one snapshot and it takes forever to delete. Manually deleting the snaphot folder + xml file works but Image Tool is not fooled by this and won't open the hard disk image anymore :(

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007