Google Chrome performance in Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Leif ArneB, Sep 5, 2012.

1. bamciver

bamciver Bit poster

Google Chrome does not work properly in Parallels 8

Exact same issues here as well.
    - MBPro Retina (mid 2012)
    - Parallels Desktop build 8.0.18354 (rev 823166 Dec 4 2012)
    - Windows 7, Chrome 24.0.1312.57 m

2. ilinderoth

ilinderoth Bit poster

Same issue as everyone else.

MBPr, Parallels Desktop build 8.0.18354, Windows 8, Chrome 24.0.1312.71

3. bigun66

bigun66 Bit poster

Same problem here (black screens, only way to recover is to close and restart Chrome browser). This is a killer issue - otherwise I love Parallels.

Mac Mini (late 2012), Parallels Desktop build 8.0.18354, Windows 8, Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m

4. moods

moods Bit poster

Parallels Dekstop 8.0.18354 and Google Chrome issues

I have the newest iMac 27" Late 2012 ...

Same here... after a while Google Chrome Version 25.0.1364.97m will stop responding on different tabs... Close Chrome and reopen it will solve this issues for a while...

Also another problem with Java 7 Update 15.. When I try to start a Java enabled App or Web-Site which use Java, the entire VM will crash and close Parallels...

Both problems appears in Windows 7 and Windows 8 virtual Machines....

Regards, Roger

5. Bloomk

Bloomk Junior Member

i have the same issue as the previous poster.. very annoying.. restarting chrome doesn't help for long..

6. KentonT

KentonT Member

Same Issue

Same issues here; very latest Parallels + OSX, with both Win7 and Win8 guests. Problem occurs in both regular and Canary versions. Tabs will intermittently just stop painting on any navigation or refresh, and the only workaround is to restart Chrome, or Duplicate Tab and close the tab that stopped working. Both options work for a while, but not for long, and the problem resurfaces.

7. eessydoe

eessydoe Bit poster

Chrome Browsing Issues in Parallels 8

This issue was brought up in another thread ( http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=262724&highlight=chrome ), but has not been addressed by parallels.

When browing in Chrome, sometimes tabs either go stark white or black when browsing in the tab. Other things that occur include different sites information showing up in other tabs that are open, but with a completely different URL. When going back in that URL, the other website page from the other TAB stays static on the screen.

A browser is critical to what I do on a daily basis at work, and chrome is my browser of choice so need some help here, along with all the others in the previous thread.

I have a MB Retina 15" with latest rev of Parallels 8 running a windows 7 VM.

8. BrianGraf

BrianGraf Bit poster

I am having the same problem with Chrome in Parallels VMs running on a retina MacBook pro. It pretty much makes parallels useless for me as I am a web developer and need a functional browser. Please fix this problem that seems to be impacting a lot of customers.

9. Vincnet

Vincnet Bit poster

What's the current status of this issue? Can parallels give us an update? it's so annoying as we bought the product with the service, however no official support at all.

10. Vincnet

Vincnet Bit poster

What's the current status of this issue? Can parallels give us an update? it's so annoying as we bought the product with the service, however no official support at all.

Let's keep these two threads to top until they solve this problem. It's very frustration.

11. MartyDa

MartyDa Bit poster

Parallels 8 and Chrome lock/freeze/hang (possible GPU issue)

KEEP THIS THREAD AT THE TOP. Many users are having this exact issue!

I am having the exact same problem. Parallels up to date, chrome up to date and Windows 8 up to date. This is VERY annoying. I have however been able to reproduce the behavior. If you open up a tab to two websites that use flash (do this immediatly after opening up a chrome window), such as cnn.com and youtube.com. As the pages are loading switch back and forth between the tabs. They will lock up. If you bring up the task manager in chrome (not the windows task manager), you will see the GPU process being pegged. This is probably due to the parallels video driver causing a problem.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP

12. MartyDa

MartyDa Bit poster

Same issue. I posted in the original thread you mentioned, this really needs to be fixed!

13. BrianGraf

BrianGraf Bit poster

Any update? Please tell me someone is aware of this and is working on a fix.

14. eessydoe

eessydoe Bit poster

No update, just need a few more people to post with the same issue to get it on the parrallels issue resolution desk I guess.

15. MikeBainbridge

MikeBainbridge Bit poster

Chrome browsing broken

Always 'black' in my case - happens randomly when opening a new tab from Outlook email too. Cleared by closing and re-opening Chrome but that's a bit tedious. I've also noticed that Chrome in emulation also seems to cause a 'full fan on hot keyboard moment' about once a week. Again, close chrome down, apply burns cream to fingers, re-open Chrome and all is OK again.

MBP 15" retina - fully patched
    Win 7 SP1 fully patched

16. CriticalCog

CriticalCog Bit poster

Terrible Chrome Performance

Same problem with Google Chrome. IE and FF are fine. Other than that PD8 is running great.

Hardware: MBPr 15 inch
    Host: OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2
    Guest: Windows 7 Fully Patched
    Chrome Version: 25.0.1364.152 m

17. MartyDa

MartyDa Bit poster

Update:

I received an email from Parallels support...

"I understand that you are facing issues with Google chrome tabs being hanged while switching between each other in Windows 8 Virtual Machine.

Martin, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Change the 3D acceleration to DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 and check with both the settings.

Launch Parallels Desktop => Click on "Virtual Machine" option on top Mac menu bar => select "Configure"

In Configuration, click on "Hardware" => Video => 3D acceleration -> DirectX 9 or DirectX 10

2. Assign 1 GB Video RAM.

3. Update the Flash and Java for Chrome.

4. Uninstall Google Chrome and re install it and check with the issue.

Please update us on the status of the issue.

If the issue persist, please feel free to contact us back for further assistance."

So I tried this and it did nothing, same issue. After researching this some more I tried several options via command line switches and found one that wipes this issue away. Try adding the command line switch "--disable-accelerated-compositing" (note double dash at the beginning). Although this works, it does hinder the rendering somewhat of chrome, not sure to what extent as I am still testing. Just wanted to update everyone of my findings. I let support know and I'm waiting to hear back.

18. Vincnet

Vincnet Bit poster

KEEP THIS THREAD AT THE TOP. Many users are having this exact issue!

19. CShack

CShack Bit poster

Curious if this fixes it...

If anyone feels like experimenting, I'm curious if disabling Windows 8's "dynamic tick" feature solves any problems. It's simple to try and undo. See here for how, and be sure to restart the VM after running the command.

http://www.davemalpass.com/words/windows-8-hangs/

I've been running both my home machine and a VM of Windows 8 with dynamic tick off, and both seem like they might be a bit more responsive. If you're wondering, dynamic tick is a clock management feature that is supposed to improve battery life in mobile devices. Maybe they have a few kinks to work out? Or mabye it's fine! I don't know, but I think someone should try it out in their VM and report back!

20. NealRobertD

NealRobertD Bit poster

No response from Parallels team?

Seriously, can we get some input from the Parallels team on this.
    My chrome is pretty much unusable and tabs freeze constantly.