Use Mac OS X Full Screen Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CriticalCog, Mar 4, 2013.

1. CriticalCog

CriticalCog Bit poster

Product: PD8 For Mac
    Host OS: Mountain Lion
    Guest OS: Windows 7
    Hardware: MBP 15 inch Retina
    External Display: NONE

I have been using PD8 for about a week. I have been using the "Use Mac OS X Full Screen" option. When that is selected, if I make the VM full screen then a new space is created and I can use trackpad gesture to move back and forth between my windows desktop and the mac desktop. Today, it stopped working. When I click on the "Full Screen" icon in the left of the VM title bar, it makes the VM full screen but then I get a message that says "To switch from Full Screen to Window mode, press Ctrl+Cmd+F". The VM window takes up the entire mac desktop. The trackpad gesture to move between spaces also does not work. Things I have tried:

- Reinstalling PD8
    - Reinstalling Parallels Tools
    - Unselecting "Use Mac OS X Full Screen" option. Restart VM. Select "Use Mac OS X Full Screen" option. Restart VM.

2. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I actually think that the way Full Screen is supposed to work is that it takes up all the available screen, edge to edge. If you set it to Windowed mode you can set how large the Windows screen is and use it like any other program window (this sounds like what you had prior when you selected full screen).

In full screen mode command tab should still work to allow you to quickly go from Windows to a Mac screen or program and back.

For moving things between the Mac and Windows I usually use the Windowed mode, otherwise I use Coherence. Coherence is great but you can't move files to/from Windows easily or access files on your Windows desktop. Nice they have the option to use whatever works best for what you are doing.

BTW many games run best or only in Full Screen mode.