Windows ALWAYS boots with taskbar shown (in Coherence Mode)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GarySu, Nov 8, 2012.

1. GarySu

GarySu Bit poster

Ever since I updated to Build 8.0.18314 I have a problem: I always run parallels in coherence mode, but now when I boot windows, the windows task bar doesn't disappear....I have to take parallels out of coherence mode--then put it back in coherence mode (ctl-command-C, ctl-command-C). I have to do this key stroke method, cause if I click the View menu, the "Show Windows Taskbar" item is show (it should say: Hide Windows Task bar----since the task bar is already shown).

I have reloaded parallels tools---SEVERAL times, but still the same problem.

Anyone else having this problem, or know of a fix perhaps??

2. rich.harrison

rich.harrison Bit poster

Same problem -- anyone with a solution? Parallels support??

3. MadMax33

MadMax33 Bit poster

Parallels 8 and ALT-key

You can:
    1) Use right click on || icon in a menubar
    2) Enable Windows Taskbar by click || and press Alt, then select "Show Windows Taskbar"
    3) Use Windows Start menu analog - in the Dock there is a folder near the Trash named "Windows 7 applications" in your case

If the folder is not shown - make sure that you have enabled "Show Windows applications folder in Dock" in the virtual machine Configuration - Options - Applications tab.

4. rich.harrison

rich.harrison Bit poster

Say again?

Please re-explain that -- it doesn't seem to make any sense!!

5. IJustWannaComment

IJustWannaComment Bit poster

Yes, having this problem. It's super-irksome. Requires going in and out of coherence every time I pause and resume a VM. Please fix.

6. IJustWannaComment

IJustWannaComment Bit poster

To be more clear. Repro:

1. Pause a VM in coherence mode. (I use prlctl suspend)
    2. Resume the VM. (I use prlctl resume, have not tested if this happens otherwise)
    3. Observe the taskbar.
    4. Try FN-ALT clicking on the Parallels menu
    5. Observe "Show Windows Taskbar" in the menu.
    6. Exit coherence mode
    7. Re-enter coherence
    8. FN-ALT-CLICK on parallels menu
    9. Select "Hide the windows task bar."

Expected:

A. The state of the task bar will be preserved through suspend/resume cycles
    B. The UI will not require unusual sets of modifier keys to accomplish frequent tasks (As far as I am aware, there is no where else in the Parallels UI that requires a FN-ALT-Click, but maybe I simply haven't discovered it.) (In fact, I am not aware of anyplace else in any Mac UI that requires that combo.)

Impact:
    I am sorely tempted to downgrade to a version of Parallels that doesn't chew up the bottom 15mm of my screen every time I resume a Windows VM, or perhaps there's another product out there without this bug...

7. NCSTech

NCSTech Bit poster

I am having the same problem since upgrading to ver 8. Very annoying.