Is it possible to configure a Parallels installation to run under Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TresyK, Mar 15, 2013.

1. TresyK

TresyK Junior Member

I have Win 8 running under Parallels Desktop for Mac. Is it possible to now configure Windows to run under Bootcamp? My question is exactly the opposite of using Parallels to run an existing Bootcamp installation of Windows. For some reason I can't find this question addressed anywhere. Seems like it should be.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It isn't addressed because, technically, it just doesn't work that way.

The answer is no.

3. TresyK

TresyK Junior Member

That's what I expected but since no one had asked the question, I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

4. 1999bvg

1999bvg Bit poster

I have the same situation, Win 8 installed with Parallels 8 and no Bootcamp. OSX just updated to 10.8.3 and now supports Bootcamp with Win 8. So what is the procedure from here to start using Win 8 in Bootcamp (mainly for gaming)? Thanks.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Create a Bootcamp partition with Bootcamp assistant and install Windows 8 from scratch.

More tedious and not exactly fool-proof: If you want to copy your current Windows 8 installation to Bootcamp you might use the backup and restore functionality in Windows 8 to backup it under Parallels and restore that backup under the Bootcamp installation, at this point if everything is working you might go back to Parallels and add a new VM with the bootcamp partiton, finally you can discard the old VM.

There are other methods like using cloning software, but requires knowledge and experience (the problem with Windows is migrating to what is to Windows different hardware, even if it's the same machine, a virtual machine appears as completely different hardware from native).

Like I said in my initial post, although it is easy to go one direction, from Bootcamp to Parallels, it doesn't work the other way around, you have to get a little creative. And please don't ask for step-by-step instructions, personally, I'm not very willing as it's very tedious and requires quite a lot of time to make them fool-proof, there are somem possible road blocks with doing such migration that have to be dealt as they come, and predicting them all is quite hard work.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. 1999bvg

1999bvg Bit poster

Thanks for the speedy reply. So if I do as you suggested first, Bootcamp partition with clean install of Win8, will there be an issue with the Win 8 product key; being I already used it with Parallels 8? I also assume my present Win 8 install in Parallels 8 will still function? New to all this stuff, coming over from windows to Mac.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Yes, that will likely be a issue, sorry, that's one of the roadblocks. You probably need to re-activate by phone and explain it's the same machine, no way around that. *shrug*

It's not a procedure destined for general consumers. It's simpler to say no, it's not possible, not with a click of a button.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. 1999bvg

1999bvg Bit poster

Thanks again for the response. I will think on this and see if I really want to go the Bootcamp route.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Well, I should add something else to anyone interested in doing this, only activate Windows after the last step (you have 3 days, so there's no rush), when you have created the new VM from Bootcamp, installed Parallels Tools and you are now running your Bootcamp Windows 8 in Parallels, that way you'll only have to activate once.