Can't copy Windows files to Mac using Parallels Mounter

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by iltb2000, Jun 6, 2012.

1. iltb2000

iltb2000 Bit poster

I am trying to retrieve some files from a Windows 7 32 bit virtual machine without starting it up in Parallels (I have also experienced this same problem with a Windows 7 64 bit VM). I am able to successfully mount the .hdd file and browse the files in the Windows hard drive, but can't copy the files to the Mac OS. When I try to copy files out of the Windows drive to anywhere on the Mac, I see a tentative (greyed out) image of the file appearing in the target Mac folder, I am prompted for a Mac administrator username password, and after entering them, I just get a beep and the tentative file in the Mac folder or desktop disappears.

I am running Mac OS X Lion (latest update v10.7.4), and Parallels 6 (Build 6.0.12106, Revision 692267).

I've searched the forums and web, and haven't found any help so far. I know I'm entering the correct password (if I enter a wrong password, I am re-prompted for the password), I know the account I am using on the Mac is an administrator account, and I have checked the permissions on the folders I am trying to copy to (e.g. ~\Documents, ~\Desktop) to ensure that both my account and the "admins" group have read/write permissions. If I enter the username and administrator password for the Windows machine, they are not accepted as valid (so I'm pretty sure I am being asked for a Mac administrator username and password).

I tried updating MacFuse to v2.1.7 (beta), but that didn't affect the Parallels Mounter behavior.

Does anyone know what might be going on here, and how I might resolve this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Jon

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. iltb2000

iltb2000 Bit poster

Additional Information

I also tried to copy files to an external server, but got the same administrator password prompt, which leads me to believe that the Mac thinks I am trying to change the mounted hard drive, not just read from it. Ironically, I can click on an image file and it pops in the Preview app just fine on the Mac. Only the copy attempt (either by drag and drop, or right click copy in the Windows folder and then right click Paste into the Mac folder) causes the password prompt and failure to copy. My account has administrator privileges, and has read/write access to the .pvm and .hdd files.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Jon

3. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

I am trying to do the same with a file export that I need to recover my Outlook files. I opted for mounting Parallels (6 also) because Windows in Safe Mode does not register my USB drive and I cannot access any of the shared folders.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

DON'T use MacFUSE, DON'T update it. MacFUSE has been discontinued years ago, it's defunct. It's not really compatible with Lion, even the betas.

Parallels uses it's own modified version that SHOULDN'T be replaced, uninstall MacFUSE and reinstall Parallels.

If you still want an updated version of MacFUSE please use OSX FUSE, it's backwards compatible with MacFUSE and updated:
    http://osxfuse.github.com/

Even so, you don't need OSX FUSE for accessing your Windows files, like I said Parallels should take care of that witheir own compatible version.

5. kristianmartin

kristianmartin Member

Hi,

I am also now trying to copy files from a corrupt VM after Parallels would not finish shutting down. Windows 7 will not boot, instead giving a STOP screen with "Unmountable Boot Volume" as the code (0xED). I can see the files just fine, but trying to copy from the Parallels Mounted hard drive results in a prompt saying that I would need to enter an Admin password. However, after entering the password, nothing is copied over. Please help!

6. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

Hey there,
    I think in the end my solution was to burn to DVD/CD on the Mac side. I could not copy the mounted files to my Mac HD or a usb key, but for some reason I was able to burn to disc.