Can I print from Parallels with a windows printer on mac even its not mac supported?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by yespi, Jun 17, 2007.

1. yespi

yespi Bit poster

Hi
    I have a canon mf8170c which has no mac driver but when i use windows xp in parallels it works fine so i would like to know if there is a way i can make it work on the mac too.
    thanks.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Probably.

You have a multifunction printer, so it is unlikely you will find a driver that will make all the functions work on the Mac, until Canon decides to release one. However, if you are willing to do some experimentation, you might be able to print from the Mac.

What you need is a Unix driver for a Canon printer maybe a generation older than yours with similar print capabilities (because OSX is built on a unix platform under the covers).

It is unlikely that Canon has created entirely new print protocols for the mf8100c. They are probably compatible with what Canon has used before.

One place to look would be the Canon website.

Another good source for Unix drivers that might work would be to install the Gutenprint (Gimpprint) drivers on your Mac. Then, find a Canon driver that will work from among the Canon drivers on GutenPrint. (You can go to Gutenprint/Gimpprint by googling. Be sure to read the documentation, and look at the list of supported printers.)

Good luck.

3. bgose

bgose Member

I have tried the gutenprint route and found this to be an unworkable solution. Bonjour didn't work for me either, simply because there's no driver available for the Mac.

However, I did get a test page to print from my Lexmark 3400 series MFP by using a solution located in this forum: http://forums.parallels.com/thread9900.html

I had to modify some settings mentioned to get it to work, but to be honest I tried so many things I can't remember what I changed to get it going.

I'll be trying this again tonight with my Wife's Sharp copier/printer at her office, we'll see if I can get it going.

4. bgose

bgose Member

Moderator, please make this a sticky. This is a good question and needs some attention given to it.