Install W8 without cd/dvd

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dukes1, Jan 20, 2013.

1. dukes1

dukes1 Bit poster

I have recently deleted all previous parallels and VMs due to general frustration with the way Windows 8 worked after upgrading from the trial version.

So, I started from scratch with my purchased Windows 8 Pro and downloaded the exe file (windows8-setup.exe) to my mac, where it of course will not open. In the parallels wizard for setting up a new virtual machine I have the option of using a disk, which I do not have, and choosing and image file. How do I move forward from here?

It feels rather like a chicken-and-egg situation. I have an exe file that I cannot open and I cannot setup a VM to open the exe file.

I´m not really tech savvy, so I´ll appreciate any help.

2. AdamHansen

AdamHansen Bit poster

Did you ever find a solution to this? I purchased Windows 8 tonight but only received an exe file to download, which I obviously can't open either. The link I used was from an article on the Parallels support site to purchase Windows too.

3. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I believe that you are limited the same was that a PC user who did not have a working copy of Windows would be. To run the exe you first need some version of Windows. If you can find a CD of Windows, even one that you don't have a license for (you can use it as a demo for some days) you can install that. Then in Windows you can run the exe file that downloads Windows 8 and installs it. There may be some other way to do it but this is the only way that occurs to me.

4. EBTech

EBTech Bit poster

This had me stumped and I was about to get a refund for the Win8 license I purchased, but I figured it out. This Paralells knowledge base article is out of date because it still claims you can install Win8 Preview from the Paralells App. I should have confirmed before I started, but I was in a hurry. Anyway, here's the solution that worked for me.

1.) Go here and download the .iso for the 90-day trial of Win 8 Enterprise.
    2.) Create a new VM using that disk image. It's a 90-day trial and it's not possible to upgrade to a licensed copy, but you only need it for about 90 minutes.
    3.) Once you have a working trial copy, download or copy .exe file to some where the VM can access it. Run it and choose to keep nothing from first install. It repeats the entire process again from the trial version, but I successfully created a clean working instance of Win8 Pro.

Hope that helps!

5. BrianTK

BrianTK Bit poster

Hi EBTech,

I tried to replicate your steps above, but when I tried installing with the 90-day trial Win 8 Enterprise, it prompts for a licence code.
    And you cannot get past without one.
    What did you do to get past this step?

Thanks.

6. EBTech

EBTech Bit poster

BrianTK -

I didn't recall entering a product key, however, I checked my email and you should have also received something from MS after the download. In the email, one of the bullet points reads:

"The 90-day evaluation will not require a product key (it is embedded with the download), but the product will time out after 90 days of activation."

Did you try just clicking next to go past entering the key? If that isn't working, I think you'll have to contact MS for support.

7. BrianTK

BrianTK Bit poster

Hi EBTech,

Yes, I had noticed that from MS - but wasn't able to get past that point on Parallels Wizard without entering a code.
    In the interim, I found a code here... http://www.alltechbuzz.net/2012/10/Download-Windows-8-Free.html?m=1
    But, having now entered that the install wizard seems to have frozen - it's been sitting at the following screen for a couple of hours now.
    2013-05-21_1437.png

I've already tried killing it and starting again, but just get stuck at the same point.

8. ashub

ashub Bit poster

You can use USB to install windows 8 on PC. Just download windows 8 image file and make the USB drive bootable. Then install it on PC. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  9. fawadk

fawadk Bit poster

hello guys. i m also using windows 8 its lightweight and fast than windows 10, mostly peoples does not know how to download or run windows 8 by USB drive, mean your HArd drive is your USB drive, you can move anywhere in your pocket your data.simply is that;s you can run your windows without installation here https://techviewz.com/run-windows-programs-without-installing/ it is so simple and easy method , i have already used working fine, now, these method also help you in your assignment. thanks