Repeated KB890859/KB931784 XP Updates Still Not Fixed on Build 3212

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mgkg3, Jun 15, 2007.

1. mgkg3

mgkg3 Bit poster

Just released update for V2.5, still does not fix the problem for recurring updates of the same files from MS.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=10934&highlight=repeated+updates

This thread clearly indicates that it is a known problem, and that Mike@Parallels informed everyone that this will be fixed in the "next" update.

Well, not really.

If it is fixed on new version 3.0, then clearly there is a fix. I do not plan to upgrade to the V3.0 so I really would like to have the problem corrected. I've read you can turn the update off on MS side for these two updates, but that is not a real fix...

Thanks.

2. jkf

jkf Bit poster

I don't plan on upgrading to 3.0 either, so Parallels, when can we expect another 2.5 release that fixes this problem? This problem is just going to continue to grow when new updates are released that update system files that Parallels tries to manage itself.

3. wingdo

wingdo Pro

This is a known issue for kb890859 on real PCs as well.

If you know for sure that the updates have been applied (verify this through Windows Control Panel / add remove programs (be sure to check 'show updates')) ......

Launce IE .... go to windows update under tools ...... choose custom ...... when the update list shows itself ..... UNCHECK the updates you do not want installed, then open them (click the plus sign) ...... check 'don't show this update again'.

Viola

4. jkf

jkf Bit poster

This is not a problem of Windows/Automatic Update falsely thinking it needs to reapply the updates. I can boot into Windows with Boot Camp, apply the updates and things are good. I can reboot as much as I want and the files show the updated build number, 2622, and Update does not bother me saying the updates need to be installed. I then start my Boot Camp partition inside of Parallels, check the build numbers and the files have been rolled back to build 2180 and Update wants me to reapply the updates. I can apply the updates and the files are at build 2622 and remain so until I close down Parallels. Next time I start up Parallels, the files are back at the old build number and I get prompted for the update again. To me, this is clearly a Parallels issue and needs to be resolved.

5. wingdo

wingdo Pro

OK, that is odd behaviour. So basically when Parallels makes the HAL switch from the Boot Camp loader to the Parallels Desktop loader this update is getting rolled back? It is kind of a long shot, but since both of these updates do seem to have the same symptoms on real PCs, it may not hurt to try the given solution for both of these updates. I'm not sure if you'd need to do this in BOTH BootCamp and Parallels or just Parallels. But it can't hurt to try it:

http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Ground-Hog-Day-ftopict565251.html

The short answer from the thread is as follows (it appears the /o option at the end of the command line is what did the trick):

Download that update from this site:
    "Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyI...eaee4a7

Next, install that update using the following parameter:
    Start > Run: "<Path>\WindowsXP-KB931784-x86-ENU.exe" /o

The problem should be resolved after reboot.

6. jkf

jkf Bit poster

It appears that the native boot camp side is ok, it consistently shows the affected files at build 3093, both in \windows\system32 and in \windows\system32\dllcache. I then booted into Parallels and checked the files, \windows\system32 is rolled back to build 2180, while \windows\system32\dllcache still has build 3093 in it. I tried your suggestion of running the updaters by hand with the /o option, and the newer build version persists across Windows reboots until I shut Parallels down, and then upon next restart, the files have been rolled back.

7. wingdo

wingdo Pro

You're going to have to forgive the following question, but since i do not use a BC / Parallels combo I'm looking at this from a Windows perspective. Try searching your hard drive (the VM hard drive of course) for the file or even the filename.* and try to see if Parallels is hiding another copy of the file somewhere else on the HD. This all has to do with the way Parallels deals with BC.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  8. jkf

jkf Bit poster

I hear ya... The more I deal with this, the more I'm considering getting rid of booting my BC partition inside of Parallels. I can not find any instances of the files in question being stashed by Parallels. It must store them renamed in some way.

9. mgkg3

mgkg3 Bit poster

Actually, the longer Parallels goes without fixing this problem, I will seek other options.

Frankly, I bought Parallels in April this year, and to be expected to buy another $50 upgrade in two months just rubs me in the wrong way. Its not the money as much as their unwillingness to fix the problem on the 2.5 version, yet they are pushing for upgrade to 3.0.

Since I only access XP for MS Office, as soon as Office 2008 is released, my need to use Boot Camp/Paralles (or Fusion by then) will diminish quite bit.

The only thing I can really say about my experience with Parallels, is that it has been bit disappointing with their follow through and fixing bugs.

10. monty

monty Bit poster

I just installed Parallels 2.5 this week and immediately encountered the repeated updates issue. I verified the patches only get rolled back by Parallels. I tried downloading the patches and installing them with the /o switch to no avail.

My initial install of Parallels hung and nearly wiped out my Windows partition. i.e. upon booting using Bootcamp, I got a "missing or corrupt hal.dll" error message. I wasted hours trying to figure out how to recover my week long Windows installation/configuration. Most of the info I found on the web said I'd have to reinstall Windows (yccch!). Fortunately, creating another Parallels VM pointing to Bootcamp restored the file. Hope this helps the next poor soul.

It's really annoying to find out Parallels has these kind of problems. :mad:

Does anyone know if this is still a problem in 3.0? Although I'd like to rid myself of Windows, it's not an option at this time.

11. Morbo

Morbo Bit poster

...and still not fixed in 3214 :-(

I suffer the same problem: whenever I boot my XP installation (Boot Camp) within Parallels the Windows Update routine informs me of the missing updates KB931784 and KB890859. I had this problem from the very beginning when I installed Parallels two months ago (3188) and unfortunately the promised fix is still not included in the latest version 3214 which I finally got today.

Not only is this a MAJOR annoyance, in my opinion this is really a very serious issue which should be fixed ASAP! Without these security updates the Windows system is definitely vulnerable! Currently it is still possible to install them and reboot Windows afterwards and as long as Parallels itself is not restarted everything is fine so far. But since Microsoft continues to release patches on top of these, there might come the day when those old file versions that Parallels insists on restoring at every start will not be compatible with the system anymore and Windows might not even be able to start then.

So please, Parallels, take this issue a bit more seriously and provide us with the fix that was promised a long time ago already.

12. swhsv

swhsv Bit poster

Possibly fixed in 3.0 / 4560?

Just for everyone who was wondering if this had been fixed in v3.0 -- after initially installing v3.0 (build 4560) I was continuing to have the problem -- installing the updates through the icon in the system tray didn't work.

Installing the updates manually with the "/o" flag initially didn't seem to help - the first time I restarted the VM after installing the updates, the system tray icon showed up again. So I thought "Oh, great, they still haven't fixed this."

But oddly, when I went to Microsoft's "Windows Update" website, it didn't show the updates as needing to be installed.

So then I tried installing the updates manually with the "/o" flag AGAIN, and after restarting this time, it seems like the fixes are finally 'sticking'. So far, the update icon hasn't reappeared in the system tray.

We'll see...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  13. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

I installed 4560 when it was first available .. and have found no (WinXP Pro) updates since.

FWIW .. I have had no Win update problems with v. 2 or with v. 3 of Parallels .. and I do get the icon in the system tray and have used it.

Phil

14. mgkg3

mgkg3 Bit poster

Well, I guess it must be just few people who are having problem with this. It does seem that those of us who use Boot Camp partition are affected (maybe not all, but those who are appear to be using Boot Camp partition).

It is not fixed and my sense is that the Parallel company has no intent of fixing the issue for those of us still using version 2.5.