Getting a basic version of Windows installed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rmathes, Feb 3, 2013.

1. rmathes

rmathes Bit poster

Hey guys, I apologize in advance for what I'm sure is the most elemental of questions, but I've been searching around looking for an answer and not finding it, and even went on a live support chat with someone from Parallels, which proved to be an utter waste of time.

I've been running Vmware Fusion with XP Home for the last few years and decided to switch to Parallels. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and my old version of Fusion wouldn't launch and apparently it wasn't compatible with ML. Decided it was time to try Parallels, had hear good things about v8. So now I have it installed and I need to get Windows on it. I can't find my old XP Home disc, and I figure I should probably install a more modern version of Windows anyway. My guess is that means I should go for Windows 8.

Now, I use this as little as possible. The only reason I do this at all is because I do my corporation's taxes on Turbo Tax for business and, sadly, they don't offer a Mac version. If it weren't for that, I'd never run Windows. To say I hate running Windows is understatement, so I use it for this one specific task and that is it.

I need just a basic version of Windows on this machine, and I want to get it installed as simply as possible. What's my best option?

I go to amazon or even the microsoft online store to look at my options and all my old windows nightmares come flooding back. They gotta have at least half a dozen options for the OS. And almost all of them seem to be an upgrade version. Since I'm not running windows currently, I'm assuming if I try to install an upgrade version it will detect no prior version of windows and won't install.

What's my best bet here? At newegg there's an oem version of windows 8 I could get shipped, is that a viable option?

I wish I could just buy it directly through parallels and have it auto installed and be done with it. I appreciate any advice anyone might have, thanks.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

3. rmathes

rmathes Bit poster

Hi Kat, thanks.

So, an OEM version would be a satisfactory solution here to getting a basic virtual machine in place?

And if so, for my needs any substantive difference between 32 and 64 bit?

4. kat

kat Product Expert

According to Microsoft it is fine.
    I use 64 bit for windows 7 and 8 my xp is 32 bit.

5. William Geck

William Geck Member

Are there any limitations, regarding using an OEM version? (Besides no Microsoft support). Since OEM are tied to a specific installation, would changing memory allocation, or video configurations by an issue? I am considering whether to move to Windows 7, and do not use Bootcamp.