Parallels Mac not responding

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IsabellaC, Apr 2, 2013.

1. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

Hello,
    I am experiencing the following issue. From a couple of days I cannot use Parallels 8 on Max Mountain Lion because it is not responding. The window with VM starts but I cannot operate nor with VM nor with the upper menu because the wheel is always running.

I tried the following without any result:
    1. restore Parallels from Time Machine
    2. restore the VM from Time Machine
    3. Delete Parallels app and reinstall it
    4. Do maintenance routine on Mac

None of these worked. I see that in the activity monitor Parallels process is red not responding (sometimes it reverts to black for a few seconds than back to red).
    I do not know what to do.
    Please suggest me ideas...
    Isabella

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Uninstall, repair permissions, reinstall Parallels.

3. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

I just did, but the situation is exacly the same. Please help.
    i.

4. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Hi Isabella,

Has anything changed on your OS X install? Did you install new software or hardware around the time the problem started?

How did you uninstall? After the uninstall, make sure you delete the ~/Library/Parallels and the ~/Library/Preferences/Parallels directories. Also make sure you reboot after the uninstall before doing an install.

Frederic

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I would advise to not delete the Parallels preferences, unless you explain to the user how to re-import their vms.

6. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Good point.

Isabella, once you have deleted the preferences, you can just drag and drop the VM's back on the Parallel Machines list to add them back in.

7. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

Thank you all.
    I did everything you suggested.
    Uninstalled, deleted all Parallels preferences from root and from user, repaired permissions, restarted, reinstalled.

What happens is still not responding, now I have the screen for serial input with wheel running...so it seems that as soon as parallels starts it gets into a non responding state.

All other mac applications work fine. I do not know what can be wrong.
    Please if you have further ideas...
    Isabella

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There no possible other ideas unless you are able to explain what happened before it started freezing, if you've done everything said here correctly, it should've solve your problem, but your problem isn't related to Parallels install, it's something else, maybe there's a window popping up asking for some input that is under another window or something like that. We can't help you unless you can remember what you have changed, installed or otherwise before you started having problems.
    Also, what version of Parallels are you using?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  9. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

The only recent install was an Office 2011 update on March 14th, but untile march 24th I have been using Parallels without problems.
    I remember trying a Mac OS update but it did not install, I even tried it today and it does not install either. So maybe there is some problem there.
    At the moment my Mac info sais 10.8.2, which is rather strange because I generally update os.

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Latest version of OS X is 10.8.3
    Still, I would like to know what version of Parallels are you running, if you paste the name of the file you used to install Parallels, the name has all the version info.

And yes, like I suspected there's something else going on with your mac, you could also look in the console (console app is in applications/utilities), what error messages are displayed there when you launch Parallels.

11. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

I started the install from ParallelsDesktop-8.0.18354.823166 but it automatically downloaded and installed latest Parallels version. But my idea is that there is something in corrupt in the Mac starting Parallels...and idea of what might be?

thanks,
    Isabella

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No idea, I'm not a wizard, I suggest you contact an Apple certified technician.

13. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi Isabella,

I assume your vm is windows 7? If so this is a long, I have previously had issues with windows 7 freezing and not responding, this was due to using Malwarebytes Pro with other applications. If you don't have this installed then please ignore.

Another idea would be to try booting windows in safe mode and if it appears ok, if so it would indicate a driver or application startup service issue. You might want to scan your VM whilst in this state as well.

With regards to a potential Mac corruption, I would suggest you run the disk utilities on the mac to check both your disk for problems but also permissions. In your notes it was not clear if you tried the disk utilities? These two options will give you a good indication if a mac disk problem exists or not.

Lastly I would run an antivirus scan on your mac .. Yes I did say on your mac with either the one Parallels recommends which is Kaspersky. Alternatively you can download a free one just to test with, I think AVAST have a free mac one.

Regards
    Kevin

14. bligid

bligid Bit poster

uninstall,then re install.Hope it will work

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Reported as link Spam.