Big problem :(

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Steve_S13, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Steve_S13

Steve_S13 Bit poster

Well, To be honest I was fine with Parallels and now I really think im gonna give up.

72gig of data and I cant access it :(

See attached screen shots. Im hoping someone can help me as Im now at a total loss as to what to do and feel like reverting back to Boot Camp as a result

Simply speaking Parallels was asking to update, so I did so and now I cannot load Parallels at all and I cant get at my documents folder using the necessary tools to access and recover my work. I would mind otherwise as I could then just delete the partition and start again.

See attached screen shots. It keeps saying that there is no operating system installed and Im not quite sure what to do :(

Can anyone help please?

Attached Files:

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Look under Virtual Machine then Configure
    check your boot order (that Hard Disk 1 is checked)
    also look at Hard Disk 1 It should have a check in Connected
    and the source should list your vm's .hdd file

3. Steve_S13

Steve_S13 Bit poster

Kat

I didnt all this.. sitting down now on this Bank Holiday Weekend to try and solve this issue..
    It all started when I went to update to be honest a good while ago

I KNOW the data is still sat there but I want to know can ANYONE help me recover that data ?

Would it be even possible for me to boost into SAFE mode of some kind and back up My Documents this way ?

any ideas anyone?

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Steve,
    I have a few questions for you:
    This is what my Hard drive configuration look like, is yours simlar?

screen-capture-15.jpg

In the past did you made any snap shots that you could revert to?

Have you removed/deleted any files from from your mac i.e.: .pvm or .hdd?

I looked up a knowledge base article for you http://kb.parallels.com/en/112469 on how to extract data from a failed machine.
    But before you do anything please make a copy of the vm in question.

Yes you can boot into safe mode but you need a os to boot into.
    In order to boot into safe mode:
    select your vm (but do not turn it on) go to Virtual Machine (near the apple logo)
    Select SafeMode

5. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

What was the OS you are trying to boot into? I noticed you only have 900 Mb of RAM assigned to it? I know it is not important at this time since the virtual machine is acting as if you do not have any hard disk.

Do you have the previous version of Parallels? It seems like your Virtual machine is still saying it is the old parallel version while booting. I would uninstall, reboot and reinstall the previous version as a start.

Is that virtual machine on your internal hard disk or on an external? I have had issues in the past where I renamed an external hd and suddenly Parallel was failing to find my virtual disk file.