Google Chrome performance in Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Leif ArneB, Sep 5, 2012.

1. BrianGraf

BrianGraf Bit poster

Problem report: 23485425
    Chrome randomly displays black screen. Only fixed by rebooting VM. Retina MacBook pro. Windows 8 VM. Everything up to date (Chrome, Windows Updates, Parallels). In contrast, Chrome is rock solid in an identical VM running in VMWare Fusion.

2. DeonHeyns

DeonHeyns Bit poster

Experiencing this too on Windows 8

3. omega708

omega708 Bit poster

Same issue with Chrome on Windows 7. Problem ticket opened.

4. gmetzker

gmetzker Bit poster

Chrome Tabs not painting (or completing)

I've been having this issue for a while. Most times when I open a new tab, Chrome screen is white and never appears to paint the page. If I copy the URL and paste it in a new tab manually then sometimes I can get the page to open, but this is obviously very slow. I also seem to have the issue when clicking a link within the same tab and the browser never completes the navigation. I do not get this issue in other browsers.

-- MBP Mid 2012
    -- OSX 10.8.3 (12D78)
    -- Parallels 8.0.18354
    -- Chrome 26.0.1410.43
    -- Windows 8 Enterprise

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. simonma

simonma Junior Member

Just upgraded to latest version 8.0.18480, Google Chrome V26, and problem is still there. Flash failed to response, clicking between tabs with random no-response ... Disappointed.

6. BrianGraf

BrianGraf Bit poster

Andrew@Parallels - Do you have any update? A lot of people are still having this issue but we hear nothing from Parallels support.

7. pechar

pechar Junior Member

Just what I was going to write! No answer in a very long time!

8. KurtSc

KurtSc Bit poster

Same issues

I just submitted a problem report as suggested.

I'm experiencing similar issues - Chrome routinely fails to re-paint the screen when going to a new page, and requires closing the browser to fix it. This happens numerous times a day, and it's particularly burdensome since I'm a web developer and prefer to use Chrome's tools. I've actually had to fall back to using IE on several occasions.

This has been happening to me for months, both in Windows 8 and Windows 7 VMs. It would be really great to get a response about this issue. Has the problem been identified? Can we ever expect a fix?

9. simonma

simonma Junior Member

I just upgraded to the latest version 8.0.18483 with Google Chrome 26.0.1410.43 under Windows 7 64bit VM. Same issue, the tab with Flash just hang (no response at all) randomly. After I disable Flash plugin in Chrome everything will be fine. I have no other Flash Player installed in the system so the situation is purely in Google Chrome and Parallels Desktop 8.

10. Chris Pratt

Chris Pratt Bit poster

I'm having the same issues. Latest Chrome, latest Parallels, Windows 7 PVM on MacBook Pro w/ Retina. I experienced this issue on both Parallels 8 and Parallels 7 before I upgraded. Parallels 8 seems to have fixed the black flickering issue, but I'm still having all the other same Chrome issues as others: slow, crashy, page "loads" but tab is blank, etc.

11. Chris Pratt

Chris Pratt Bit poster

Interesting. I, too, have not installed Flash for any other browser on my Windows 7 PVM (IE10, Firefox, etc.) Those all work fine, but Chrome has Flash built-in, so there's not a lot that can be done about that. I have Flashblock addon installed in Chrome, but perhaps the problem generates from some interaction with Flash before it actually loads. Can't say for sure that the issue is all because of Flash, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. The only time I can even hear the fans on my MacBook Pro w/ Retina is when I watch a video or something with Flash, and then it sounds like a jet engine is taking off. I can run Photoshop CS6, iTunes, an entire Windows 7 VM with Visual Studio and SQL Management Studio all at once and the fans don't even purr.

12. gmetzker

gmetzker Bit poster

Looks like there is a new release of parallels today. Hopefully it fixes my issue of links and tabs not fully rendering. There is something in the release notes about tabs but I'm not sure if it is my issue:

13. simonma

simonma Junior Member

No, the problem is still there.

14. ilinderoth

ilinderoth Bit poster

Still the same problems for me after updating. Submitted a problem report.

15. Contradel

Contradel Junior Member

I seem to have the same problem.
    Newest version of Parallels Build 8.0.18354 and I have Windows 7 64-bit installed with Chrome Version 26.0.1410.43 m.

I have very poor speed loading webpages such as Gmail, Google Calendar, but also applies to other school related webpages and generally the web. Sometimes tabs freeze.
    I did find a fix though:

type
    chrome://flags/
    in the url and find (sorry I'm using another language of Windows, don't know the specific name) "GPU-composition on all (web)pages " and disable it.

Happened to me after updating from Parallels 7 to 8.

16. ilinderoth

ilinderoth Bit poster

This seems to be working for me so far. Thanks for the tip!

17. Contradel

Contradel Junior Member

Hi again. I JUST this moment checked for Parallels updates, and there was one. This time it upgraded to build 8.0.18483. However this still does not fix the slow rendering of webpages when the flag mentioned it enabled. Hope Parallels aknowlegdes the issue, but I can see why it may be hard to troubleshoot. Guess it's something about GPU rendering and the GPU drivers used of Parallels 8.

18. gmetzker

gmetzker Bit poster

Tried the new version and it doesn't seem to fix the issue with my tabs opening.
    Tried disabling Flash, this did nothing.

I'll try disabling the GPU composition next.

19. RoySalisbury

RoySalisbury Bit poster

This seems to have solved it for me. Hopefully it stays solved.

Thanks for the tip.

Roy

20. KentonT

KentonT Member

Disabling this GPU setting appears to have resolved the issue for me as well...