How to free disk space on OS X Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by SchroedersKater, Apr 3, 2013.

1. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

The title says it already. I use Parallels 8 and OS X Mountain Lion as a guest. There is always only 16 kb I can free on the hard disk. Even when I completely delete a lot of files in the guest OS. Tried several different VMs already. Looks like a bug in Parallels to me.

Is there a way to get some of the unused disk space back?

Thanks for any advice.

2. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

Nobody having an idea?

3. robzr-

robzr- Bit poster

I don't think at this point, Parallels has support for compacting OS X disk images. Perhaps in the next paid release. I would not hold my breath for them to add any significant functionality to this release, I've been purchasing Parallels since v5 and their release cycle seems to be annual. Once you buy a version, you can expect them to fix some bugs in the version, but for the most part any added functionality you will have to wait for the next release, and buy it. It's why many of us are frustrated with Parallels.

If you are using a OS X guest, you may also notice that the suspend functionality does not work. If you suspend a guest, it will not not resume, instead it reboots and can cause disk errors in the process (it's a hard system crash basically). Despite coming out with multiple updates since this problem was known, Parallels has not even added a warning message or prompt on suspend. It's pretty frustrating. Perhaps when v9 comes out we can all spend another $70 and that will work properly.

You may also notice that file copy performance over the virtual network can be horribly slow, even between the guest and the host (ie: 100% software, no actual network involved). Perhaps this will be fixed in v9 and we can benefit from that after dropping another $70.

Rob

4. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

Rob, after asking some other questions here in the forum I come to the conclusion to agree with you. But why do they offer features like the mentioned one if the function behind it doesn't exist? Smells very fishy.

BTW, in my case suspending a OS X guest has been working some times. But I haven't yet been able to tell when it does and when not.

Greetings from Germany

5. robzr-

robzr- Bit poster

I have never been able to suspend and resume an OS X guest - I'm impressed ;) I try every time there is an update, hoping it will work, but it's never worked as long as I've tried on my setup... ah well.

I really like the Parallels software, but their upgrade model is very expensive, and the communication/support is pretty lacking as well. Maybe the next version will be better :)

cheers,

Rob

6. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

Is there still no solution for this case?

My OS X VMs are growing and growing without an end and there is no chance to reduce the disk size as there is with a Windows guest.

Please help!

7. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

I posted a workaround here. HTH