Simcity 5 (2013) playing in Windows 7 through Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Andrew_C, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Andrew_C

Andrew_C Bit poster

Hi guys,

With SimCity 5 (2013) out and not yet being released in Mac, I'm trying to turn to an alternate solution. Initially, my thoughts were "Parallels will sort this!!" but no good. I'm running Parallels 8 (with the latest update) on a MacBook Pro Retina Late 2012 (also with the latest update). I'm not running Boot Camp, just Parallels with Windows 7. Windows loads with no issues at all (and looks awesome on the Retina actually!), however I'm getting the error "Could not create the Graphics Device. Direct X is not available".

Now I understand that Maxis/EA released information that there may be issues running SimCity in a virtual environment however, given how awesome Parallels is, I thought there might be a fix for this. Do I need to do anything to actually 'install/config Direct x?

Any thoughts/advice on config/setup etc?

Thanks guys - Andrew

2. Troy Pickett

Troy Pickett Bit poster

Bump

I am attempting this on a MBPr first edition. Will report status as I go.

3. Troy Pickett

Troy Pickett Bit poster

Installed. Installed Direct X separately. Hit connect to server and the screen goes black and it reports that SimCity has shut down, Windows will report if there is a solution.