Why is Windows constantly detecting an HP 8500 printer that does not exist?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkHunnibell, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Turn off printer sharing in the VM configuration.

2. Omnidextrous

Omnidextrous Bit poster

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Although I'm guessing we won't be able to print invoices anymore then?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Printer Sharing is meant for using the same printer in OS X and Windows at the same time when the printer is connected directly to the computer (USB), I don't know what's your setup, but if the printer you are using is a network printer, don't use printer sharing, connect to it directly in Windows (you might need to change network setting to bridge mode).

If it's a local printer connected via USB, if you don't need to use it in OS X at the same time, connect to it directly via the USB menu in the VM.

Printer Sharing is only useful for a local connected printer being used in both Windows and OSX at the same time, so it's hosted in OS X and emulated in Windows.

Parallels Tools cannot be downgraded, they should always be the same version as the Parallels app.

4. Omnidextrous

Omnidextrous Bit poster

Thanks for explaining Specimen. We have a local printer connected using USB that doesn't need to be used in OS X and Windows simultaniously. In fact, I don't believe this particaular printer is ever used in OS X at all. Going to give it a try as soon as Windows itself finished updating all sorts of security updates.

5. TimP2

TimP2 Bit poster

I had this problem in Parallels 7. When I upgraded to 10 (after a fubar event) I was tired of it. Finally with the right Google search terms I found this page. I solved the problem by unchecking Add all Mac Printers. My local printer still works with XP and OSX. I've not yet tried any network printers.