Win XP Activation Parallels + Boot camp - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by soundevolution, Jun 18, 2007.

1. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

Is it possible to have windows XP activated under both bootcamp (native boot) and Parallels (VM) ?

Windows XP.
    Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0

There's lots of talk about Parallels 2.5 and also vista.

I've just about had a gut full of reinstalling windows again and again.

If I can't get this working, one of them is going to have to go, because I really feel like I can't waste any more time on this - I have to get some work done.

My work is developing for Open GL, so I need bootcamp, because openGL still doesn't seem to work fully under parallels. But rebooting constantly for a cross-platform development is a PITA.

BTW, is it possible to tag posts with specific versions of win / parallels to easily filter search results?

Cheers,
    Matt

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Parallels has said it is possible.

Basically, install Windows XP under Boot Camp, and activate it. Then return to the Mac OS and run the Boot Camp partition under Parallels. You will be required to reactivate. Contact Microsoft and explain to them what you have done, and Microsoft should give you another activation code to activate Windows under Parallels. After that you should not be required to reactivate again either in Boot Camp or Parallels.

Note that this only works for Windows, not any other software that require activation themselves.

[​IMG]

3. mcg

mcg Hunter

I did this very thing. The activation script had me call the Microsoft hotline to reactivate; it said I had used the key too many times. It was an entirely automated process---even the part where they asked me how many computers on which I have this key installed (one!), had I used this key before (yes!), had I made any significant hardware changes (yes!) and so forth. Once I answered the questions it gave me the code to activate the Parallels configuration, and I haven't been asked to reactivate since.