OpenSUSE 12.3

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by James Rome, Mar 13, 2013.

1. James Rome

James Rome Hunter

Once again, Parallels Tools will not install on OpenSUSE 12.3. It used to work on 12.2, but that failed too after the last kernel update.

Tech Support gave me the "not supported" answer.

But these Linux OSs are in beta for a long period, which should give the Parallels people enough time to get them all supported BEFORE they are released.

I but every Parallels upgrade religiously, and feel that I am not getting very good support. The tools need to be easier to install.

The previous manual install made you type in loooong complicated lines like

sudo cp /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko /lib/modules/<kernel_module version>/extra/

and having a space in "Parallels Tools" also makes life more complicated for us all.

2. -Sergey-

-Sergey- Bit poster

Same in here: "An error occurred when downloading required components for Parallels Tools installation.
    - kernel sources
    Install these components and try again"

It shows similar error under Fedora 18

Why not to state in documentation that only Ubuntu is supported in Parallels 8 so far...

3. duncan_h

duncan_h Bit poster

The recent update of Parallels to build 8.0.18483 (Revision 860857, March 30, 2013) fixed this for me.
    openSUSE 12.3 now runs.

Edited: Parallels tools now installs, but something is wrong with the X11 configuration for opensuse 12.3
    (12.2 is fine). Also the drivers prlvideo and prlmouse were installed with wrong permissions (not executable)
    But after fixing that, some more work seems to be needed on xorg.conf...
    (I didn't succeed in getting correct mouse behavior yet)

Edited again: OK, so openSUSE 12.3 is not yet supported in the latest Parallel tools; comparing 12.3 with 12.2, the error is that /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows that the display and keyboard get set up correctly, but that when the mouse is set up, the prlmouse driver never gets loaded in 12.3 while it does in 12.2. The entry in /etc/X11/xorf.conf.d/50-prlmouse.conf is the same in both 12.2 and 12.3, but somehow prlmouse is not looked for or found in 12.3

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. VipulV

VipulV Bit poster

any update on this? its been over a month?

5. LudwigK

LudwigK Junior Member

How to install parallels tools in opensuse 12.3?? Need help please.

6. ksubox

ksubox Bit poster

Would be good to hear something from technical support - when it will be fixed ?

7. marquiz

marquiz Bit poster

I got the mouse working (prlmouse loaded) by removing the 'MatchTag "prlmouse"' line from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-prlmouse.conf

8. VipulV

VipulV Bit poster

new version of parallels came out but that still doesn't support opensuse 12.3. what gives? someone please post how to on it.

9. csterner

csterner Bit poster

Parallels Tools works in Open SUSE 12.3. You just need to do a little legwork beforehand.

First, make sure all updates are applied via online update. Restart if needed.
    Second, install this RPM via wget: "wget http://linux.dell.com/dkms/permalink/dkms-2.2.0.3-1.noarch.rpm" (I downloaded it to my downloads folder)
    Install the RPM either by double clicking the icon in your downloads folder or via the cli (yast2 -i dkms-2.2.0.3-1.noarch.rpm)
    Restart
    Install Parallels Tools via cli by navigating to it's mounted location and typing "sudo -i ./install" and then follow the onscreen instructions. Mine was /var/run/media/sandbox/Parallels Tools where "sandbox" was the name of my virtual machine.

Take a little bit, but have patience. Mine installed no problem. Hope this help.

10. VipulV

VipulV Bit poster

Thanks csterner, I didnt know that DKMS would do the trick, I kept reinstalling gcc and kernel. I am sure other will find this really helpful.
    Thanks again.