Final Fantast XI stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ZakA, Nov 4, 2009.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. SaulN

SaulN Bit poster

I've been debating on upgrading to Paralllels 7, so when I saw your post, I had to check it out.
    I downloaded the trial version of Parallels 7 to my second Mac and copied my Windows VM to that machine. It works fine. I got into Jeuno and walked around.

Try tinkering with "Screen Size" of the game under Start -> Playonline -> FINAL FANTASY XI -> FINAL FANTASY XI Config. I started out by setting the "Overall Graphics Resolution" to 800x600 and the "Background Resolution" to 512x512. When I have some time I'm going to try increasing that.

Of course this just means it works on my machine. It means that Parallels 7 can run FFXI. There may be something different with your machine and VM that Parallels has an issue with.

Mac Mini (Late 2009)
    Mac OSX Lion 10.7.1
    Windows XP SP3
    Parallels 7.0.14920 (Trial version)

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. SaulN

SaulN Bit poster

Submitting a trouble ticket shouldn't hurt.

6. Eradicate

Eradicate Bit poster

So has there ever been a solution to this. I have a macbook air 2011, I'm running parallels 7 with win 7 vm. Game crashes on character screen. I have been told that works on parallels 6.... my guess is driver issue.. but can't find a solution.

7. JesseeH

JesseeH Bit poster

Make sure your DirectX drivers are good. FFXI Likes DirectX9 I believe the best.

Reinstall them if necessary and give that a try.

I've ran FFXI on Parallels 4 through 8 and it worked beautifully for me on 7. 8 has some weird screen glitches in certain areas (everything turns white *almost like a color inversion*) but that's only with Parallels 8 and it's not totally disabling as it only happens in certain areas such as Xarcabard.

Graphics drivers are a possibility, but I'm doubtful, doesn't hurt to reinstall parallels tools.

8. Eradicate

Eradicate Bit poster

Installing directx 9 did not help. I am having the exact issue that several others have posted about. As soon as you get to the screen where you can select your character.. ffxi completely locks up and parallels complete crashes.... I'm thinking its a driver issue.. but have yet to find a viable solution... besides people saying get parallels 6.

9. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

10. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Bit poster

Still not fixed

I'd like to add to this thread that I attempted to run FFXI on Windows 7 with Parallels 6, 7, and 8 on Macbook Air. None of them work. They all get to the character model selection screen before crashing. The entire VM crashes back to mac VM selection window. This appears to be an issue with the Intel video chipset as I am able to run the exact same copy of the VM on my Macbook Pro Retina with my dedicated graphics card drivers and it runs fine (some glitching with the lighting such as lamp posts in-game, but otherwise tolerable).

When is Parallels going to support 3D rendering for Intel chipsets?

11. SaulN

SaulN Bit poster

Yeah, I recent went back to FFXI after a hiatus.
    I can get it working perfectly under Windows XP, but not Windows 7 nor 8. I'm on Parallels 8.

12. Waverly360

Waverly360 Bit poster

Hey everyone, I ran into this problem myself yesterday and I may have a solution. The difference for me is that mine worked just fine for a good two months. Yesterday my entire box locked up while playing, and when I rebooted, FFXI would crash the entire VM when I hit the character selection screen. I tried re-installing FFXI, re-installing Parallels, and even running the "SFC /SCANNOW" command in Windows 8 to determine whether my direct X files were corrupt.

None of that proved helpful, but I ran across a comment where someone said to change the VM Optimization settings (Virtual Machine->Configure->Options->Optimization->Power) to "Better Performance" because otherwise Parallels would choose to use the internal Intel card that's meant for power savings on newer Macs and NOT use the high performance card. Well, that didn't help, however, I went one step further and went into my System Preferences->Energy Saver and uncheck the "Automatic graphics switching" box.

After that, I was able to log into FFXI again in Parallels. My guess is that something broke in my OSX internals when the system locked up...not too concerned about fixing it long term, as I know how to work around it now. Try this..and let me know if it helps you guys.

Good luck!

Waverly