Lost Network Connectivity with 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SStead, Jun 8, 2007.

1. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

2. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

no dice, here is proof that I can ping it though. See the attached pic.

Attached Files:

3. bbashaw

bbashaw Bit poster

I also upgraded to 3.0 (build 4128) this past Friday, the 15th. Since my upgrade, my Cisco VPN has stopped working on the OS X side (I've worked around the issue by ifconfig fw0 down), and now my XP SP2 VM is displaying the same "limited or no connectivity" in the interface status window. (Start -> right click "My Network Places" -> Properties, Local Area Connection shows "Limited or no connectivity".) Also just to test it out, I pinged another known IP on my network, as well as 64.131.89.6 just to be safe, no go. Again, OS X is functioning fine...

This is only with Shared Networking turned on. If I enable bridged networking, all is good. My challenge is that I use the shared networking feature so that I can access my coporate network from both OS X and Windows.

I've uninstalled the Cisco VPN using their uninstaller, uninstalled Parallels, rebooted OS X, reinstalled Parallels, but did NOT reinstall the VPN yet, and still have the same symptoms. I tried the recommendations from Tim Surgent in this thread:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12702&highlight=limited+or+no+connectivity

but that is not working.

If there is anything else that I can provide that would help, please let me know.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Clearly shows the networking and routing is working fine, and I assume you can ping it by hostname, too (parallels.com) which would validate DNS support in Windows. I wonder now if Parallels Tools swapped out a dll version that IE needs. I wonder if you can reach the web server that is running on your Mac with IE.

5. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

I just tried to ping parallels.com and it did indeed work, so I do have DNS support in Windows.

Now you are over my head with the whole dll version thing. Could I somehow get firefox onto it and then reinstall IE? Do you think that would work? Or is there some file I can delete to make it get recreated like on the Mac?

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You can download Firefox with OS X and then drag and drop it from the Mac onto the Windows desktop. I doubt you can install IE with Firefox, though, because that requires the Windows ActiveX update module for IE.

RE: the dll files - my understanding is that Parallels replaces some Windows library files with it's own version. Assuming they're as good at writing them as Microsoft is it shouldn't be a problem.

7. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

VERY interesting. I downloaded Firefox and it DOES work with XP. I am now re-downloading IE 7 to see if it will work (you can download IE from Firefox, it just needs a little helper thing from Microsoft). Ill let you know.

8. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

Unbelieveable. I downloaded IE 7 from microsofts site via Firefox, installed it, and it STILL DOES NOT connect to the Internet. Now what do I do?!? I need IE to see what websites look like on IE, the whole reason I got Parallels in the first place.

Is there anything I can swap out or something?

9. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

OK, now I unloaded IE 7 so I am back working on IE 6. Still DOES NOT work. Although 6 works a little different, and when I try to load a page, I get this at the bottom of the browser window:

Downloading from site: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\xpsp3res.dll\dnserror.htm

Apparently, it might be a dll problem. The search continues...

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

11. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

So I finally figured it out last night. It was my security. Guys, check your security! IT was the Kasperisky or whatever that I set up. Once I turned that off, all was well.

12. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I wonder why that would affect IE but not FireFox.

13. scottberks

scottberks Junior Member

Another interesting question. Perhaps something to do with the dll, that is always what I saw for a split second when it was trying to find the page.

And it was ONLY IE. WMP worked, Firefox worked, even the Security worked downloading updates. But for some reason the security was blocking IE.

14. spike13

spike13 Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with 2.5, even before I upgraded, one day I jus tlost the ability to connect to the internet. If I open a cmd prompt and ping a server it works, but neither outlook or IE can connect. I've tried with multiple VMs using XP. Everything is happy on mac. I also tried switching the settings with no luck. I run normally using the shared network setting. This SUCKS. Iv'e gone from loving parallels to hating it. It's totally unreliable!

EDIT: If I disconnect from my OS X CISCO VPN client, I can connect to the internet via IE 6 in parallels, but if I connect back to VPN I can't.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  15. enthios

enthios Member

This worked for me. Parallels menu bar -> Devices -> Select "default adapter."
    If this does not work, try selecting a different (specific) adaptor.
    See if that works.
    If not, re-select "default adapter."

That worked.

16. freds

freds Bit poster

Same problem in 2.5 Build 3214.0 - my solution

After installing the new build, I got a "Limited Internet Connectivity" message. Parallels NAT had appeared in my Mac OS connection choices for the first time. In the System Preferences I found under Network that Parallels NAT was shown as Automatic in the Location choices. I changed it to an alternative location so that only the Built-in Ethernet choice was listed as Automatic. That approach worked for me.

17. planetkingdom

planetkingdom Bit poster

Shared Networking

I had the same problem but solved it by switching to Shared Networking under the Parallels Devices Networking selection. Once I switched from Default Network Adapter to Shared Networking, I regained my network connection.

18. Svirsky

Svirsky Junior Member

Has anyone found the solutions yet? Media player works IE does not regardless of whether bridged or sharing, airport. Please some let us know.

John Svirsky
    John@Svirsky.com

19. cwojo

cwojo Bit poster

I know this may seem really baic, but I had the same problem. Went into network connections in Windows and the Local Area Conectin was disabled. I double clicked it turned on and my internet worked again!!!

20. phazer

phazer Hunter

i get this problem all the time! i wish parallels team would release a patched update