Ubuntu Feisty screen/video error?

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SLy CaT, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SLy CaT

SLy CaT Bit poster

after the boot screen, i get this jumbled screen.

[​IMG]

i'm not really sure why. anyone have any ideas?

seems like it's the resolution. i got into the live part of ubuntu. though, i cannot change the resolution to 800x600, which i prefer. it jumbles the screen with lines.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

Same problem over here... for booting the first 2 times, the 3 reboot, Feist could not boot any more...

3. crag

crag Member

I have that problem too. :(

4. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

I did a clean install as soon as version 3 was available. No problem at all.

5. bnz

bnz Member

i had that also once. but even worse: when shutting down ubuntu 7.04 i always get a weired screen with scrambled content and the OS does not shut down properly. This is always the case. I am using Parallels 3.0 and the linux tools (however, this effect happened also without the linux tools).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  6. Michele Gazzaruso

Michele Gazzaruso Bit poster

To install, set VGA mode to a thing different from "VGA" set by default (such as 1024x768x24). If, after installing, you are not able to boot the new system, try these two things:

1) In the VM config select Solaris as operating system, and version to "Other Solaris"
    2) If this fails, try to decrease RAM to a value less equal than 512 MB.
    3) If these two fail, try to pass at boot time "acpi=off" to the kernel, using GRUB's edit menu.

This will not solve black at boot or purple/white screen at halt, but it will permit you to install/boot Ubuntu Feisty.

7. Michele Gazzaruso

Michele Gazzaruso Bit poster

I think this is a bug due to some framebuffer issue with Parallels.

Developers.... any word from you about this?

8. WimDS

WimDS Hunter

For Parallels 3.0 they said: "sameless Linux support". I don't think you can say that when the most populair distro (Ubuntu) is not well supported!
    In VMWare i can run Ubuntu sameless @ full screen in full resolution, normal boot & drag 'n drop with an easy install of VMWare tools... :mad:

9. superpat

superpat Bit poster

i've the same problem : fresh ubuntu 7.04 server installation on //3.0
    perfect installation but impossible to used : no boot, no crash, nothing = no more ubuntu with Parallels 3.0

the installation with //2 was not trivial, i guess it still the same mess and not the same less support !

10. SLy CaT

SLy CaT Bit poster

Yeah, I had to change the resolution to something else then start the live boot. Even after installing, I cannot change resolution with the "CHange resolution" in the gnome menu since it goes all jumbled aswell.

Though, after installing the parallels linux toools, at least I can change the resolution by resizing the window.

Yup, I get that screen everytime I try to shut down ubuntu aswell.

Ah, I just wanted to play around in ubuntu anyway. Not much of a big deal.

11. bnz

bnz Member

well, i am a little annoyed by that. any comment from parallels?

12. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Such artefacts are possible during booting or shutdown sequence of some Linux guests, but they shouldn't affect the normal work of the VM. Try installing Parallels Tools for Linux into your Guest OS to avoid screen distortion when it's running.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  13. danws

danws Junior Member

Ive had this error when I tried to install Ubuntu so installing Parallels Tools is rather impossible.

14. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

I can't even get that far. I get the Ubintu installation screen. I select "Start or install Ubuntu" and hit Enter. I then see "Unable to locate RSDP, Loading, please wait..." followed by video junk. So the OS never installs and I can't install Parallels Tools for Linux.

15. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Some measure of success. By just waiting a very long time with the junk video on the screen, it finally went to the next step. I was able to start the Ubuntu "Install" program. But now it has been waiting for over an hour with the following box visible: "Installing system. Detecting hardware, please wait...; Loading module 'piix; for Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U..." I've tried tor run Install three times, and it gets stuck here each time.

16. dkaye

dkaye Junior Member

Success! The problem was somethign to do with RAM allocation. I had specified 1024MB and the system refused to install. When I specified 512MB RAM for the VM, the system installed as expected.

17. fbronner

fbronner Pro

You might also want to use the alternate ubuntu/kubuntu install CD. As long as you use 512MB or less during the install it will work properly.

After it is installed, do install the linux tools, they are very good.

18. tlj

tlj Bit poster

Parallels team, I wpould really like an explanation as to why unbunu based VMs will not shutdown in the same way as Windows based VMs do. Reset works without a problem but I have to stop the VM manually once ubuntu has finished shuttong down. I know this does not affect the day to day running of the VM but it is something II would hope to have resolved eventually.

19. HZC

HZC Member

Press the appropriate F-key (I think it's F5) at the bottom of the initial installation screen to change the screen resolution. I selected 800x600x24. Then, after selecting the first install option, it went fuzzy for a second and then everything was fine.

(I installed with 512MB RAM in case that makes a difference)

20. talmy

talmy Member

No problems with my existing Dapper Drake install, but Feisty Fawn is still giving me problems (Parallels 3).

Keeping the image size below 512MB and using F4 to change the initial screen size allows the install to occur, but the resulting installation doesn't see the CD drive, the network, nor does it allow resizing the display beyond 1024x768 (I run 1600x1200 with Dapper Drake).

So want is the secret? Do I need to install as Solaris as reported elsewhere? What is the full combination of elements you successful folks are using?