Resolving Windows 8 Parallels and bootcamp activation issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarkH_, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MarkH_

MarkH_ Bit poster

I just thought I would post a clarification on activation of Windows 8 in bootcamp and Parallels. It needs to be activated twice, once in bootcamp and also in Parallels but your product key can only be used once. What I did was installed it in bootcamp first and activated it with my product key. Then in Parallels on OSX I opened the Metro-style settings (in Windows 8 in Parallels move your mouse cursor to the top or bottom right hand corner, click on Settings and then click on "Change PC settings" at the bottom). In the Personalise section it will say you need to activate Windows. Follow the messages to activate by phone. You should be presented with a freephone number for your country. It's an automated system so you're not waiting to talk to an agent.

You can check if your Windows is activated by typing the following in the command prompt:
    slmgr /dlv
    It should say License Status: Licensed

If you installed Windows 8 upgrade onto an empty partition you can use this tip (scroll down to "Solving the product key issue") to get activation working in bootcamp.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for sharing your experience, Mark! I'm sure it will be helpful for some of the users.

3. MacClueless

MacClueless Member

So... are you saying once it has been activated a seocnd time, it'll stop asking?