Tomb Raider under Parallels 8 and Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SWANDY, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I installed the new Tomb Raider game, and even after reducing the graphic quality settings to "low" I can't get the game to run past the first video introduction. It keeps shutting down with a "program has shut down" error being reported by Windows 8.
    Some suggestions have been (from what I have seen in the games forums) is to "update the video drivers" - which I assume is not possible in Parallels.
    Also, the game requires Directx 11 - and even though if I go into DXDIAG - it says "Directx 11" but in the Parallels configuration menus I only have the choice of Directx 9 and 10.
    Not sure what to do to get the game to run.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. agmarb

agmarb Bit poster

same problem - Parallels 8 Windows 7

3. rotopenguin

rotopenguin Bit poster

Have you tried forcing DirectX 9 mode? Shoot, TR is on sale for $20 at GMG (with GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA) this weekend, I would like to see it work for somebody before I take the plunge. Considering that TR 2013 worked for some bloke on VMWare, and it gets a pass on Wine, I thought it would be a cakewalk for Parallels.

4. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Yes - I was told not to use Direct X 10 and the game works fine. Have to still play a bit with the video quality settings to get a frame rate I like, but it does get past the scenes where it froze and is definitely playable.

5. rotopenguin

rotopenguin Bit poster

Thanks for the shout back! I'm downloading now (grr, oversubscribed overpriced 'Murican privatized utilities), will report on the results later.

Edit: Safari, Sagoodie. Runs decently on my 512MB Radeon 6750M, Parallels 8. I average 30FPS without changing settings, besides forcing DX9 in regedit. I think I can put off asking the same question of "Bioshock Infinite" for a while now.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013