Activate windows twice

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by oswaler, Jun 19, 2007.

1. oswaler

oswaler Member

I have XP SP2 set up and working in boot camp. I activated my copy of windows. Then I set up parallels to use my boot camp installation of windows in the VM. That works fine. But when I bring up Windows in the VM, I get a notice saying I need to activate windows. I'm afraid if I activate windows twice Bill Gates will come and kill me in my sleep;) and even worse that my original boot camp install will cease to work. Any time I boot natively to windows, windows seems to think it has been activated.

Do I activate windows from in the VM as well?

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

YES!
    FYI, you MAY need to also reactivate XP in BC.

This occurs because XP see 2 different hardware configurations! Do not be alarmed!
    As a Beta tester in the earlier days, I was activating XP on a daily basis and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

But once you've activated both configurations, you will not be required to do so again.

IF you must activate manually, by calling MS, only answer their questions, do not add any information. Do not mention Macintosh, BC, or Parallels. Reason for re-activating; "CHNAGE in HARDWARE CONFIGURATION!"

ajm

3. oswaler

oswaler Member

Thanks, that took care of it!