Boot Camp support still broken for some Windows XP installations

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by brkirch, Jun 6, 2007.

1. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Hi, my Boot Camp partition still doesn't just work as of build 4106 (displays 'Unable to open disk image Boot Camp' error) because my Boot Camp partition only had drivers.cab in the /WINDOWS/Driver Cache/i386/ folder and not sp2.cab. The solution has been to make a copy of the drivers.cab file and rename it to sp2.cab. It would be preferred however that Parallels know to look in the drivers.cab file if sp2.cab does not exist. Any chance of this being fixed?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. brkirch

brkirch Pro

This still hasn't been fixed as of build 4128. Is this something that is somehow difficult to fix or is the Parallels team just unaware of this issue? :confused:

3. roadkill_97006

roadkill_97006 Junior Member

I get this message if I bring up Windows in 3212 and I've rebooted the Mac Pro since the last time I used Parallels. I do a DF and get the drive address for DriveC and then change it in the .pvs file. So far, it's worked for me every time. I never had the missing sp2.cab problem. It seems as though the address for DriveC flops between disk0s3 and disk1s3.

4. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I was bored so I wrote this script to automate the process of setting up custom Boot Camp configurations. Before you run this be sure to back up your VM configuration (just the .pvs file). There are two different ways that it can be used; as a login item or as a substitute for an alias to the VM configuration. If you want to use it as a login item be sure to say no when asked if you want to launch in Parallels after the configuration is corrected.

5. joemx

joemx Junior Member

That script ROCKS!

Dude nice work!!! That could have saved me countless hours.. Found it as I was writing a general FIX instructions for this problem... Parallels should include this with their software and PAY YOU for it!!

Nice work.

6. joemx

joemx Junior Member