Help with USB and printers!!

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by biggbaby, Jun 19, 2007.

1. biggbaby

biggbaby Bit poster

Please help me. I am running MAC OSX with parallels installed. When i run my Windows XP VM, it does not read the USB devices connected to the MAC OSX. Including external hard drives and mp3 players.

Also, i cannot get the Windows VM to recognize the printer connected to the wireless network. How do i get it to work?

Please help!

2. Morgenl

Morgenl Member

Have you enabled the USB controlers in the configuration editor?

On printers, search the forums for "Bonjour" printing. That will tell you how to get your printer working.

3. sallybode

sallybode Bit poster

Setting up a printer in Windows

Yes, it is true you can print via Bonjour, however, I just went through that myself and I found that there were a couple of things I had to do first:

1. I had to share my printer in MAC preferences.
    2. And! I had to set up and enable my sharing folders between desktops!
    3. I had to have my printer set in Parallels as a parallel connection
    4. I had to have USB on the list too
    5. I had to have my printer install disks for when I installed the printer in Windows despite what Bonjour said.

Meanwhile the printer wouldn't print after installing it normally in Add a printer in Control Panel. There was a secondary driver it needed. I am glad I was persistent. Then when I did the Bonjour, it worked fine because I had the rest of it done. Otherwise I was getting that I did not have enough permissions with my system to install a printer.

My son installed Parallels for me and he had to also before I could do anything, install a driver which activated my print spooler. Without that, I couldn't do anything but I did solve everything else on my own.