Auto Upgrade hosed my installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mrmwiley, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mrmwiley

mrmwiley Bit poster

I received a message that a newer version was available when i launched parallels. I hit ok and received the download. now parallels is asking me for a new registration key. I checked the site for my account info and there is no mention of the older version that I had. I dont even remember the version I had. I would appreciate it if you can provide me the link and advise me on how not to received any other upgrades in the future.

This is very inconvenient. I did not request the upgrade and somehow I was forced into it anyway.

Thanks for your time.

2. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Do an "About" check and post what version you have now. Hard to say without knowing that.

3. mrmwiley

mrmwiley Bit poster

3.0 4128 June 9,2007
    I might also note that I cannot use my current Product Key because I assume it is only for the earlier version.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  4. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

So you went from 2.5 to 3.0 and got a "We will now convert your drive" warning pop up and everything and said YES etc etc? Now yer Key doesnt work? That's because 3.0 is a "brand new" version. Not a partial fix type upgrade. You have to pay for the new version or use it for 30/60 days as a trial version. If you did not make a back up of your old hdd before conversion/upgrade.... yer stuck... like me.

5. mrmwiley

mrmwiley Bit poster

Thanks!! :(

Admins, Seniors? Any Ideas? its been a few days and I havent got a response from Parallels. I dont want to assume the worst yet and become bitter like some.

Please help!

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What Rachel says is true. It should not have happened, but instead of an update you got an upgrade. Contact Support@Parallels.com and order-support@parallels.com if you have not done so already, and continue trying to flag down one of the official Parallels staff here.

I'd also suggest using the forum's private mail option to try to get their attention. The names to look for are Andrew, Spectre, Tim Surgent, and Ankou for starters. These names are associated with the sticky notes that remain at the top of the forums.

7. mrmwiley

mrmwiley Bit poster

Awesome, thanks so much!