Vista, Aero...When?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mog0, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mog0

mog0 Junior Member

Is there an ETA on when Parallels will support Aero in Windows Vista?

Parallels have been saying it will be in the next version for some time now and there have been at least two new versions since they started saying that.

Mog

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello mog0
    We are working on Aero support in the next versions of Parallels Desktop, but its too soon to give any exact dates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  3. mog0

mog0 Junior Member

Thanks.
    Looking forward to it. Vista looks so much nicer with Aero.

4. wingdo

wingdo Pro

edited.
    misleading info.

5. jruschme

jruschme Member

edited.
    misleading info.

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

edited.
    misleading info.

7. Leonard

Leonard Member

Ah, so maybe I should not feel so bad I have not had my beta invite yet. ;)

8. wesley

wesley Pro

I don't think 'nearest month' is what he thinks he means...

9. Leonard

Leonard Member

As you wish, Westley. Er, um, wesley. ;)

10. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Dear customers, please accept my apology, it was an unfortunate misprint.
    I wanted to say: update for Parallels Desktop will be available in nearest months, but not a month.
    We are going to release several updates for Parallels Desktop 3.0, the first one should be available soon. Vista Aero support is in scope of these updates, but for now I can't give an exact date for it.

11. jruschme

jruschme Member

I realize with the nature of software development, it is sometimes difficult to place exact dates on when a version will be ready. However, given the level of concern that many users seem to be showing over a lack of movement at Parallels, would it be possible to publish some kind of rough timeline of anticipated releases and feature targets?

If nothing else, would it be possible to refer to future events in more conventional terms, such as "3Q07" rather than in vague terms such as "in nearest months". I assume that you are not a native English speaker, so by using quarter references, it may clarify matters to all of us.

John

12. simplicity

simplicity Member

This is just a guess but it appears the DirectX libraries are actually modified WINE libraries. So I would guess DirectX 9 will come when WINE gets it done, then give a bit of time for the Parallels folks to shoehorn it into the product.

Of course, if this is true, chances are VMWare will have it at about the same time 'cause I think they are doing the very same thing.

And of course CrossOver will have it too. So we'll see everyone will have it at close to the same time (my guess is CrossOver will have it first....)

I wonder if the Parallels folks are contributing to WINE? Hrmmm... :) [I'm sure they are in some way.]:D

13. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Let me give some clarification on the Aero support plans:
    We are working on improving overall 3D support in Parallels Desktop 3.0 and of course we are looking for a way to make Aero work for the VM. But it's quite early to say when Aero support will be ready, there is much work to be done, considering that it requires DirectX 9.

14. Parabola

Parabola Junior Member

Why are you all so concerned about Aero candy, when it is such a resource hog--even when running Vista on a physical PC? I can understand about occasionally doing some gaming, and other OpenGL and DirectX novelties.

Assuming you'll have to allocate even more resources to your Vista VM--leaving OS X to fend for itself--I have to ask...

Why do you even bother running the Mac side at all, when you're so willing to starve it's resources? Not to mention the thrashing your poor, poor hard will be taking. Are you some kind of "sadoMACochist" or something? ;P

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007