SmartSelect Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dbingham, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dbingham

dbingham Bit poster

My windows drives no longer show up on my Mac desktop (they did for a while when I first upgraded to 3.0). The preferences are set correctly, I've re-installed parallel tools, I've restarted both the guest and the host. I've tried reinstalling Parallels. No luck. Also, when I try to open an a file in Windows with a mac application (but not vice versa) I get the following error:

To use your Windows files directly in Mac you should reinstall Parallels Desktop.

When I dismiss that error, it is immediately followed up with this error:

Parallels Desktop cannot open file C:\Profiles\dbingham\Desktop\InstalledSoftware.txt from the guest OS. You can open only files located on Windows drives (volumes) which have drive letters assigned or in Parallels Shared Folders.

It seems that these two issues are related. Can anyone please give me some idea of what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks.

-dbingham

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello dbingham
    We need more information about your system:
    what build of Parallels are you running?
    what is your guest OS?
    etc...

3. dbingham

dbingham Bit poster

I am running Parallels 3.0 build 4128.

My guest OS is Windows XP SP2 with the latest updates. Also has the latest Parallel Tools installed.

My host is 10.4.9 fully updated. MBP 15" Core Duo. 2GB RAM, 512 MB allocated to the VM.

I think that's everything...

-dbingham

4. mcowger

mcowger Member

I am having the same issue. I cannot open a PDF files from My Documents folder in Parallels. I also am unable to see my PC's drive on my desktop.

Have reinstalled Parallels with no effect.
    I have also tried recreating the VM just using the same HD image file with no effect.

Mac Pro 10.4.9 with build 4128 and XP SP2 with latest tools.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  5. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello folks
    Try to go to Configuration->Shared folders and select "Share Windows drivers" and "Mount shares on Mac Desktop"

6. dbingham

dbingham Bit poster

Ankou,

Give us a little bit of credit here. =) If you look at my original post, you'll see that I said that the preferences were set correctly. Not only have I ensured that they are set correctly, but I've also unset it, saved the configuration, and then reset it and saved the configuration to try to bring it out of whatever crazy state it is in.

Still no go.

-dbingham

7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Have you installed MacFUSE or NTFS-3G? If so, you might want to read this article from the Parallels Knowledge Base. Apparently the problem you're describing is usually a software conflict issue.

8. dbingham

dbingham Bit poster

Well, I'll be. Sure enough. Wouldn't happen to know anything about this bug would you? :)

Thanks for the help.

-dbingham

9. mcowger

mcowger Member

dbingham - I'm having this same issue - I've tried to uninstall macfuse, and I think i've done it correctly, but that didn't help. What process worked for you to fix this?

10. Cathat

Cathat Bit poster

Same problem here

I got the same problem that the window drive does not appear on MAC desktop (Double check the configuration many times) What kind of applications may create this conflict? What is MacFUSE0.4 and NTSF-3G. Mac Book 2GHz, 2 GB. XP-SP2

11. williams.noah

williams.noah Bit poster

Add another user down with this issue...

Hello, count me amongst the folks that can't seem to get this feature to work. As with others on this thread I've done the following:

* Reinstalled Parallel Tools within the Guest OS (Vista)
    * Uninstalled and reinstalled Parallel Tools within the Guest OS (Vista)
    * Reinstalled Parallels following the KB article instructions posted at http://kb.parallels.com/entry/19/235/
    * Recreated the Guest OS from scratch
    * Repeated each step above recreating the Guest OS from scratch inbetween each step

It would be so cool if this feature actually worked. Is there anyone out there that has this working? Respond to this thread if that is the case - just so the folks of us not fortunate enough can have some hope.

MBP 15" Dual-Core Duo with 4GB of RAM

Parallels - perhaps you could respond to this thread?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. kgunn

kgunn Bit poster

My solution

I was suffering from this problem as well, but was able to solve it by removing the device links from the filesystem. In particular, I shut down Parallels and moved away the entries in ~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/Windows Disks. When I restarted, it recreated the links, and now it works. Hopefully it hasn't broken anything permanently, but it looks good for now. YMMV. Good luck.