PLEASE HELP nothing but a question mark

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mculver, May 13, 2013.

1. mculver

mculver Member

I have Mac OS X 10.6.8 running Parallels 7 on a 2010 iMac.

Guest OS is Windows 7 all up to date. I'm working along just fine, when I mis-typed or mis-clicked something. Now all I have is a gray guest OS window with a red question mark. The only choice is Stop, which is checked.

What do I do? I need my guest machine back right now.

2. mculver

mculver Member

Okay, this is mind boggling. The PVM is in a completely different folder. It was moved somehow.

How is it possible for a machine's files to be moved while the machine is running? Aren't there such as thing as locks? Confirmations because somebody could mis-type or mis-click?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Has it occurred to you to move it back to the Parallels folder in Documents?

4. mculver

mculver Member

Yes of course it occurred to me to move the file. That's not the point. The point is how one mis typed key or mis click can cause an entire virtual machine to shut down with no warning, no messagebox, without giving me the opportunity to save the work, and move the files to an entirely different directory. I was nowhere near Finder, I was working in the VM. No warnings. No locks on files. You've got work in progress? Too bad. And a message that the red question mark means that the file is no longer there would be helpful.

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I have no idea what you did, and you don't seem to have one either, but I cannot envision a situation where someone would accidentally move the VM to another folder, I'm sorry, but there's is no simple misclick that would do that, locking a file doesn't prevent it from being moved, as file moves happen at the OS level only thru permissions would be possible to prevent it in anyway, but in that case that would require to set the VM to not be accessible to the user and you wouldn't be able to use the VM.

You should try to understand what you did and do not do it again, you probably dragged the Parallels folder to another location, which isn't exactly a simple misclick, when making file system operations the user should be aware of what he's doing and act responsibly.

6. Statman

Statman Member

Yeah, good idea to blame the customer...I have had parallels start and not be able to fine the OS...reinstall it and can't fine it the next start...go figure.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

From my signature: "[NOTE] I'm a Product Expert, that doesn't mean I'm affiliated with or work for Parallels."