computer id changes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dobbyn498, Apr 30, 2013.

1. dobbyn498

dobbyn498 Bit poster

hello,

can anyone help with this?

I'm running parallels 8 and i have a program in windows that required my computer id(from windows) for the licence key but after
    the latest parallels update the computer id has changed and now the licence key won't work.

I'm hoping there is a way to change the id back.......

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You'll have to explain what do you mean by computer id, do you mean hardisk serial number?

3. dobbyn498

dobbyn498 Bit poster

the program asks for a 'computer identification number' it thens gives me a number like this: F63F-B5C9-9E2E-66B7-4FD6-5451-7189-72FD
    (this is from the windows program)
    this number however changed when I updated parallels 8 recently and now the original licence sent to me to run the program won't work and I get an error code 1
    (i assume the virtual desktop generates its own id and the update changed this)

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That computer id number doesn't exist on Windows, it's likely a number generated from the hardware specs of the machine by your program to make sure you aren't pirating. The unique id number these programs usually use is the hard disk serial number which is indeed unique, hence my question.

Did you change any virtual machine configuration like memory size? Hard disk size?

5. dobbyn498

dobbyn498 Bit poster

not that i'm aware - I just ran the latest update and then it wouldn't work

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Since I don't know exactly how this number is generated I have nothing more to add.

7. Statman

Statman Member

This happens to me with Minitab every time I update Parallels...For some reason a new mac address is created so Minitab thinks I have installed it on a new machine. Explain this to the software company you bought the program from and they should give you a new key. It is kind of a PIA.

8. Valeria M

Valeria M Banned

How can we change computer id, Can you explain it little more.??

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I saw some of your other posts, you are just a link spammer pretending to blend in with the discussions.

10. AshutoshS

AshutoshS Bit poster

The same thing happened to me.
    Yes I have changed the RAM capacity for my VM
    Now one of my existing software is not working saying a change in Machine ID.
    Can you help me to revet this and some links or details on how to avoid changing machine ID in the future.

11. Hi please check this KB article for more info and let us know if it's not that case.