How do I install MS-DOS 6.22 on Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MacUserFor20yrs, May 3, 2006.

1. MacUserFor20yrs

MacUserFor20yrs Bit poster

I know it is a strange request, but I do have a genuine need to run an MS-DOS program.

Can anyone assist me? Also, I do not have the MS-DOS set-up files. Where can I download these and how do I get them onto [a floppy image?] the VM?

Thanks

2. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

You really will need to get hold of a copy of MSDOS, I'm afraid. MS still retains ownership of this and have not released it into the public domain. Also, they don't sell it either :(

Once you *do* have the floppies, however, its not too hard to get everything setup, assuming you have access to a Windows PC with a floppy disk drive. Use a program such as WinImage to capture the FDD(s) to disk images. WinImage can create uncompressed ".vfd" files, which PW is happy reading, though you need to rename the files to ".fdd" for PW to see them.

Then create a new PW VM and attach the floppy image. Boot the floppy. Then setup an HDD as you normally would with MSDOS: Use FDISK, then FORMAT/S the HDD (normally C:), then boot the HDD.

OTOH: What app are you trying to run? Many DOS apps still run fine under XP or Win2000?

You can contact me directly for more info: drtimhill _at_ comcast.net.

--Tim

3. dr_lha

dr_lha Junior Member

You could try installing FreeDOS instead, and seeing if the program runs under that. Most DOS programs do.

http://www.freedos.org/

4. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Good idea! :)

5. rhoff

rhoff Bit poster

How do you change the floppy images durring install?

I have images. It did disk 1, when it askes for disk 2, how do you change it?

6. MacUserFor20yrs

MacUserFor20yrs Bit poster

Tim,
    Is your email
    MacUserFor20yrs Paul

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  7. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Yes, but please don't spell it out again -- I like to avoid as much spam harvesting as possible :)

8. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Once it asks for disk 2, use the VM menu in PW to switch to the next FDD image. You don't restart the VM (obviously!).

--Tim