Beware 3.0!!! Faulty

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by paulj, Jun 19, 2007.

1. paulj

paulj Junior Member

It has totally failed on my system, and isn't even communicating with Mac OSX. The Tech Support line isn't functioning, so this has left me having to uninstall it, and re-install a previous version.

VERY poor customer service, and extremely poor product. Wasn't ready for prime time.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You went from asking for help to hysterical in 6 posts. Might be a new record. Perhaps we can have a dialog and even help you with your problem. So far your system is a complete mystery so it's hard to know where to start. So start, when you're ready, by describing what transpired just prior to and then after your 3.0 upgrade, and describe your system and problems.

And since you're a technology writer you should know or suspect that any new product released by a small startup is going to have problems with real time support, particularly when the product is as popular as this one is. Not that support problems are anything new on this bbs, but just be aware it isn't a situation the support staff are happy with, either.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Probably from the marketing department for VMWare.

4. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Common !! None of this "Stealth Marketing" BS. Go chew some tin foil off of your hat if you believe that crap. These are real people PISSED and FRUSTRAITED. Help them, ignore them, but don't add additional injuries by mocking them... that will hurt Parallels more than all these complaints.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I learned to speak/write in calming tones at Boeing :). Actually, when you get past the anger (and yours are rarely mood neutral posts despite your protestations) and actually begin working on the problems in depth then sometimes, just sometimes, you learn somethings and you fix somethings. And if what your real objective is is to write a best-selling book on owning, operating, and exploiting virtual machines on a Mac, you try very hard to find solutions to real problems and write them up for inclusion in your best-selling book. So it helps to be non-confrontational, avoid hysteria, and remain methodical.

In fact I'm not in this thread to denigrate Parallels as there is little new that can be added to the dung heap already thrown their way. I'm trying to help the OP get beyond his anger and to get his computer going again and to perhaps add another chapter to my soon to be best-selling book.

I don't work for Parallels or VMWare so I pretty much can say and do what I like about what they do right and what they do wrong (sometimes here, as they allow a lot of latitude) and believe me I've not gone easy on the team from Renton.

What is especially wasteful of your time is to harangue me with pompous hysteria. You are too young to be so shrill and standing on too low a rung on the world experience ladder to be attempting that, and you are no good at it nor do you have any capacity to debate. Rage gets you only so far.

Now let's try to get along and fix this guy's computer.

6. paulj

paulj Junior Member

dkp, i appreciate your learned insight, and am glad you haven't had any difficulties akin to mine.

However, the better part of my assistant's afternoon was spent working on this, and now most of my evening. I tried to email customer support, and received nothing. I even purchased support from the website, and after the better part of an hour trying to get through because their systems were down, received support that pretty much ended with "try again tomorrow".

Regardless, given the difficulties i've discovered here and on other boards, this update was clearly not ready to go live. and the company is fully unable to support it.

I appreciate your willingness to be of assistance. But when i take my car in for service, i expect a licensed mechanic to do the work, not a guy who's wandering by on the sidewalk, if you get my point. but i certainly appreciate that more day-to-day issues can be resolved in these forums.

Crappy software, it seems not.

7. BPSooner

BPSooner Bit poster

Can I download latest version of 2.5 and reinstall?

Ever since installing version 3 of Parallels, I've had problems with my cursor not sliding out of Windows XP back into the Mac Windows, as well as some other difficulties w/ Convergence. I have installed and reinstalled Parallel Tools, but to no avail. While I'm excited about the new features available in version 3 (Parallels is a great product, so I'm not interested in downgrading them), I'd rather uninstall version 3 and go back and install version 2.5 and run it with my saved virtual Windows drive … and wait out the fixes needed for version 3 from a distance. Unfortunately, I didn't keep my dmg file of version 2.5, build ???? that worked so well.

Does anyone know where I can download the last well-working version of 2.5 so I can reinstall it? I'd rather use it and wait until version 3 becomes stable.

Thanks!

BPSoooner

8. wingdo

wingdo Pro

22 threads on "where can I get the 2.5 download" theme....... Moderators, can we PLEASE get a sticky on this? Even better, can it be added to the KB?

Links

Build 3188

Build 3212

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Just between us - I agree with everything you've said. But I also do this for a living so have a leg up on the wandering waif holding up the cardboard sign :). And I hate giving up. Well, actually, giving up is not an option at the workplace. No problem is allowed to not have a solution. Anyway - if you'd like to give it a go there's a number of pretty savvy waifs here.

10. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

dkp... my post was NOT to you.... ya feelin guilty about somethin? Cause I ran that up the old flag pole for the OTHER idiot and you sure ran to salute... LOL

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Hehe - I am caught in flagrante, your honor. That was a chance I took - you're terrible at providing a context for your responses. But you're forgiven. In fact I did toss out an insult in my initial response and deserved a rebuke but my heart was in the right place.

12. John Purins

John Purins Member

I was wondering what happened to you after the stellar performance of a few days ago... was starting to get worried that you might be up there with all the other space debris endangering the shuttle's return. What was it... 60 or 70 posts in a day?

Considering the time it must have taken you to write them, at that rate, you're going to be one of the cheapest lawyers around.

Maybe you should forget about all this lawyering and the next Ann Coulter business and write a book. May I suggest "Ranting for Dummies" as a title. I won't press for payment for the idea but definitely would like an autographed copy of the first edition.

BTW, do you happen to know of Amanda Monti mentioned in this article... could be an interesting appeal case and seems to be right up your alley. :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  13. paulj

paulj Junior Member

UPDATE: just so everyone knows, the after 2+ hours of tech support, i was told to uninstall 3.0 because it isn't working properly.

As such, i have to go back to the old version AND re-install the operating system.

So anyone considering buying this piece of software should be warned: it's not ready for prime time, and has some obvious major bugs.

Sorry for those of you who have found this out the hard way!

14. BPSooner

BPSooner Bit poster

Interestinginly, I found a workaround for the mouse problem (where after installing Parallel Tools, the mouse still had to be manually released via ctrl+alt).

If while in Windows, you go to Start | All Programs | Parallel Tools and run Parallel Tools and then go to the Mouse Syncronizaton Options and unenable it, apply it and then re-enable it and apply … then OK, it seems to start syncronizing the mouse properly where it smoothly runs in Windows and smoothly transverses to the Mac windows as it should.

Even thought I've un-installed and re-installed Parallel Tools several times, this seems to be the only way to get mouse syncronization to work for me. Go figure!

BPSooner

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

BPSooner - does it survive a Mac reboot?