Autodesk Revit Graphics Card Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KarynS, Apr 9, 2013.

1. KarynS

KarynS Bit poster

Hello -

Does anyone know how to resolve the incompatible graphics card issue in Autodesk Revit? I can't run certain graphics because the parallels graphics driver isn't supported within Revit. When I try to change it in Revit, it tells me I need hardware acceleration via direct 3D. Anyone able to help me out with this?

2. KrP

KrP Member

I hope you were able to resolve this on your own. This is the first time I have seen your post. I don't know how much I can help , but here goes.

I found this info sometime in the past:

Hardware acceleration is not available in the Parallels 7 environment, and Revit will revert to a DirectX 9 based software graphics mode, which will not render materials, sky, artificial lights, and other features when the Realistic visual style is in effect.

Workaround 1: When you first start Revit and see the “Graphics Options - Cannot Use Hardware Acceleration” dialog, select the Save Hardware Acceleration Setting option, and then close and restart Revit. Upon restart, DirectX 11 software mode will be used and features will display correctly in Realistic visual style.

Workaround 2: Manually add the following to the [Graphics] section of the Revit.ini file before startup: UseGraphicsHardware=0

Also here are my setting adjustments to compare. I seem to have eliminated most of the problems and can even get Autodesk Showcase to work now. The graphic card upgrade was the biggest help.

Windoze ~Start ~ Control Panel ~ System ~ Advanced System Settings ~ Performance Settings ~ Advanced Tab ~ Virtual Memory ~ Change (whew! They don’t make it easy to find)
    Uncheck “Automatically Manage Paging File Size”
    Check “Custom Size”
    Initial size = 12500
    Maximum size = 12500
    Click Set and restart windoze

Parallels 8
    Virtual Machine ~ Configure Settings
    Hardware ~ Video Memory = Pegged at 1 GB - I am told this is the maximum parallels will use (if you have it available. The ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card from the Apple Store is well worth the money)
    ~ 3d Acceleration = DirectX10
    ~ check enable Vertical Synchronization
    General ~ Memory = 9216
    ~ CPUs = 4
    Options ~ Performance = “Faster Virtual Machine”
    ~ Power = “ Better Performance”

Revit
    The big R at the top left ~ Options ~ Graphics ~
    Uncheck “Use Hardware Acceleration”
    Uncheck “Use Anti Aliasing”

These seem to work for my machine. I hope this helps

3. KrP

KrP Member

Just a small edit to the configuration posted earlier.

I began having problems with "screen tearing" and found that changing to DirectX9 (instead of 10) seems to help.