File Association Between Windows & Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by iNfEk, Jun 20, 2007.

1. iNfEk

iNfEk Junior Member

Moved from "Installation and Configuration in Mac OS"

3.0 is associating my office documents with office that is installed on my boot camp partition instead of the office that is installed on my Mac. How do I stop this from happening. I'm sure it's happening to other applications as well.

This has become a great big annoyance.

Please tell me how to fix it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. DerekS

DerekS Member

You can't completely stop it until they release the next version. They (Parallels) have come out and said they will include a toggle to stop SmartSelect in the next release.

3. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

yes, this is a nuisance for me as well. When I click on a Word or Excel attachment in Apple Mail, it opens in the MS Office app in Parallels, and if Parallels isn't running, it wants to launch Parallels to launch the MS Office Windows app.

I'd much prefer to open them in my Mac Office app instead. Does anyone know where to turn this feature off - to tell my Mac to use MS Office Mac applications rather than the Windows ones via Parallels?

also, and I'm not 100% positive that it is related, but since upgrading to Parallels Desktop 3.0 I get an occasional Excel application crash on my Mac - once or twice a day - nothing else has changed on my Mac other than updating Parallels to 3.0…any one else seeing this happen?

4. iNfEk

iNfEk Junior Member

yup exactly the same as moondougie with the exception of the crashing part of excel.

Where the hell is smartselect anyway?

This is not bring up my virtual drive it's bringing up my bootcamp partition

5. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

I have a couple of worse issues, for some reason my AOL is now assocciated with my Office Docs because of this feature. And yes I have Office on BOTH platforms and it didn't cross pick either of them... I think something happens in the install and once it's made what it thinks is a good pick, yer stuck. I haven't even had the time to mess with this as without a mouse it's pretty well useless.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

7. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

When I follow those directions it only lets me choose Microsoft Windows Excel or Finder for .xls file extension - how do I choose Excel (Macintosh) intead of Finder?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  8. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Select one of those Office files in Mac OS X, ctrl-click it and Get Info... and there change file association (change all) to the right Mac OS X Office application or OpenOffice or iWorks or whatever you want it associated with.

Parallels did a mistake of auto-associating files located in the Mac side with applications from the Windows which declares themselves as wanting to support this or that file extension. But you can revert this. I found that my .xls files (which were associated with NeoOffice on my Mac) had been redirected to Windows Excel 2007 on the XP side. I just reverted that file association as described and that's all.

9. drapsag

drapsag Bit poster

From the Knowledge base article on SmartSelect:

"If it detects some extension that is not supported by any of the Mac applications, it makes this Windows application a a default application for all files of this type."

The problem is it isn't smart about this. I have tons of Mac created .doc and .xls files that all seem to be associated with Office on my PC even though I have Office for Mac installed and have had it installed forever.

And, if I do the Get Info trick in Mac it works for a while but at some point the associations will revert back to the PC versions and I cannot tell when or why. Seems to happen randomly.

I have changed the security to highest in the VM configuration but that doesn't work.

The bottom line is that SmartSelect is broken. I need a way to turn it off. I thought a disable feature would be out with the "next" update but they've already updated once (from 4124 to 4128) and I still have no option to turn it off.

Why would anybody find this "feature" useful?

10. Dondi

Dondi Junior Member

Thanks Oliver. This works for me. Hopefully it won't randomly revert back to a prblematic state --like drapsag's installation.

11. iNfEk

iNfEk Junior Member

i've already done that before posting this but as notated by drapsag it'll randomly revert back to the pc side.