Parallels Doesnt Remember My Resolution

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Eagle101, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Eagle101

Eagle101 Bit poster

Hello All,

I am using Parallels 3.0 in my mac to boot windows xp pro sp2. Everytime I launch XP, I have to go and fix the resolution and color depth for windows xp pro. It never seems to remember it. Can someone please tell me how to fix this? Thank You

-Eagle101

2. robtain

robtain Bit poster

Ditto for me... This is very frustrating!

Rob

3. Eagle101

Eagle101 Bit poster

Yea thats what I told myself too...But i guess someone gotta help me here...

Come on guys, help me.

Thanks,

Eagle101

4. kastorff

kastorff Junior Member

I have the same problem with a Vista VM, but not my XP VM. Happens on either build 3188 or 3212. I can't say about 3.x builds, as I was never able to get Tools installed on it, so I reverted to wait for the fixes. I have to reset Vista's screen resolution every time I boot it.

5. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Perhaps, you have problems with video driver. Try to reinstall parallels tools.
    Please do the following:

1. Boot into Windows safe mode. To do that, restart (start) the VM and
    immediately keep pressing F8 (F8+fn for macbook) repeatedly.
    2. Windows prompts to choose the way to boot. Choose the top option -
    Safe Mode.
    3. After booted, browse to Start->Control Panel->Add or Remove
    Programs.
    4. Remove Parallels Tools.
    5. Reboot and start Windows normally.
    6. Install Parallels Tools again via Actions->Install Parallels
    Tools... menu.

6. kastorff

kastorff Junior Member

I did precisely what you suggest, although I've already uninstalled/reinstalled Tools multiple times attempting to fix the problem. I'm running build 3212 on a Macbook with 2 GB of RAM. The VM is allocated 768 MB. My preferred resolution in my Vista VM is 1152 x 720 32-bit. When I rebooted the VM after uninstalling Tools in Safe Mode, it booted to 1152 x 720. Note that this is without Tools installed. I installed Tools and rebooted. The machine reverted to 1024 x 734. I changed it to 1152 x 720 in Display Settings and rebooted. As soon as the Tools icon showed up in the Vista system tray the VM reverted to 1024 x 734, so the problem remains. My XP SP2 VM on the same machine doesn't have the problem.

7. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

If a reinstall does not fix it... I am afraid you are stuck for now. They are, as you can see, aware of the driver problems in 3.0. We will just have to wait for the next big bug fix. Welcome to the club!

8. adranovs

adranovs Bit poster

cant boot up in safe mode

I upgraded to Parallels 3.0 and am using Powerbook Pro 2G ram and Windows XP home edition. I am having the video driver problem that you describe, but when I try to boot in safe mode, the screen begins to scroll through drivers and eventually gets stuck and freezes on

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys"

Please help!

9. kastorff

kastorff Junior Member

I'm using 2.5 build 3212, so the issue isn't specific to 3.0.

10. random.tard

random.tard Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with 3.0 and my Vista Enterprise VM. I normally have the VM fullscreen at 1680x1050. It now launches at 1600x1000 and I must change it manually.

I reinstalled the Parallels tools as suggested and that resulted in a black screen following any Vista login.

Good thing I had a snapshot from before that change (great feature)!

Any more ideas?

11. greghk

greghk Bit poster

Hello,

I have the same problem, using Parallel 3.0 and Windows XP SP2.

I just noticed that there is no "Dynamic Resolution Tool" in the Parallels tools centre. Could this be the cause?

I have tried to reinstall the tools and it is still missing.

Regards,

Greg

24" iMac: 2.33ghz ~ 2GB ~ 750HD
    Parallels 3.0 Build 4128; OSX 10.4.9; XP Home Edition Sp2