prl_err_vm_guestmem_fail error creating VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dave729, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Dave729

Dave729 Bit poster

I tried to create a windows 8 vm under the latest (updated today) version of P8. After I specify my second internal hard drive as the destination and start to create the vm, I get popup error message: PRL_ERR_VM_GUESTMEM_FAIL.
    I have searched the error message on the website and forum and came up with nothing. A google search lists about a page and a half of results from parallels technical documentation regarding errors returns in C.

Any ideas what this might be?

Macbook Info:
    Running OSX 10.8.2

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Running two hard drives, a WD 640 as the second internal drive (where I want to put the VM) and an OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD as the primary drive, when the Parallels app resides.

2. Dave729

Dave729 Bit poster

Nobody else has seen this?

3. Marty Sharpe

Marty Sharpe Bit poster

One of my users started getting the same error when trying to open a Windows 7 VM. I believe it might be a permissions issue. I gave the user who started seeing this message Read & Write permissions to the folder where the VM was located (not the default Documents>Parallels) and it started working again. I will follow up later with additional information.

The weird thing is that it seemed to have been working just fine before.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. Dave729

Dave729 Bit poster

That worked

Thanks for the user permission observation - it worked and I have the vm installed!

5. Marty Sharpe

Marty Sharpe Bit poster

Nice, I'm glad it worked. I have no idea why my user's VM worked before and just stopped.

6. iloveit

iloveit Bit poster

Marty can you please tell me where exactly you changed the permissions... trying to help a friend out and I am getting the same error.
    10.6.8 iMac
    Windows 7
    Thanks so much in advance.

7. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

Might not be a permissions issue but where you're installing. Drove me crazy for awhile, but I realized that the recently location I chose in Parallels was for an external USB that wasn't plugged in. Somehow the VM was able to be created but the HD wasn't.

Now, why Parallels lets you select a location that doesn't exist, I don't know...

8. iloveit

iloveit Bit poster

NathanJ, thank you so much for responding. If you have the time could you please walk me through the steps to where you changed the Location and to what. I am guessing in the configure settings of the VD. Thank you so much in advance.
    rj

9. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

Actually it's the file location of the VM itself which you select when you first create the virtual machine. See this screenshot.
    Screenshot.png

For me, Parallels had already somehow created it on this nonexistent volume. I needed to delete the VM that was giving the error and recreate it, selecting a new location when I did.

10. iloveit

iloveit Bit poster

Nathan, thank you again. A few questions...
    1. How did you move over all of your data (if you had data on the other VM) The friend I am trying to help has all of his patient files on some MD software on the unaccessible VM.
    2. Do you have to reinstall the OS of windows again?
    3. Thanks again.
    rj

11. NathanJ

NathanJ Member

My situation was with a brand new VM. If your friend had an existing VM and never had it on an external drive, then he probably has the permissions issue.

To set permissions, just select the folder that contains the VM and click File -> Get Info. At the bottom you'll see the current permissions and an interface to change. You may also need to do this to the VM itself if the folder permissions look okay. You should have "Read & Write" permission.

12. Zsolt

Zsolt Bit poster

I figured out finally, the solution is very easy. Go to ACTIONS hit the STOP button. Restart the virtual machine and hooray...off you go.

13. Tony_Lacey

Tony_Lacey Bit poster

Zsolt - Thank you for your post! I have been panicking since the VM crashed yesterday. Followed you advice and hey presto! Thank you thank you thank you!